Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2013/08/06 04:20:57 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Sorry for coming to the party rather late (vacation and everything ;-)).
Here's my 2 rubles worth of feedback:

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I wanna kick-off the discussion on the content of 0.7.0 BOM
> Release 0.6.0 was all about stabilization of the stack and I think we got a
> great headway on that. The following components/OS were in the frame of the
> discussion:
>     http://is.gd/H52iVe
>
> My personal take that we need to spend this release cycle working on the
> improvements in Bigtop itself: we got enough "technical debts" in the
> pipeline that have to be addressed.

A huge +1 to that! Also, it would be awesome to get back on track
wrt. our release schedule (quarterly). Hence let me put the stake
in the ground and propose a release date of 9/22 (we could call
it a Fall release ;-)).

> To name a few:
>   - testability/test coverage
>   - test framework
>   - package improvements
>   - build improvements (including performance)
>
> In order to be able to deliver a solid stack again yet improve all things
> Bigtop I'd like to focus on the latter, hence keeping the former at bay and
> limiting the component updates to the bugfix releases only (if warranted). E.g.
>
>     Hadoop 2.0.5 or later (stabilization branch of Hadoop 2)
>     HBase 0.94.9 (update from the Bigtop 0.6.0)
>     HCatalog 0.5.0 (same as 0.6.0, as well as following...)
>     Zookeeper 3.4.5
>     Pig 0.11.1
>     Hive 0.10.0
>     Sqoop 2
>     Oozie 3.3.2
>     Whirr 0.8.1
>     Mahout 0.7
>     Flume 1.3.1
>     Giraph 0.2.0
>     Hue 2.2.0
>     Datafu 0.0.6
>     Solr 4.2.1
>     Crunch 0.5.0
>     Tomcat 6.0.36
>     Spark 0.7.3    (it has been in the queue for a long time)
>
> Also, I'd suggest to keep the same set of OSes as last time:
>
>     CentOS/RHEL5
>     CentOS/RHEL6
>     SLES11
>     Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS)
>     Fedora 18
>     OpenSUSE 12.3
>     Ubuntu 12.10
>
> To reiterate, with a known stable version of the stack we can safely focus on
> the improvements to the framework and the overall system usability.
>
> Please jump on the discussion  Also, I have opened up the following JIRA to
> track the BOM update https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1023

I've provided a few bits of feedback on the JIRA itself. Seems like there's
not too much opposition to the current plan so lets nail down a few details
this week and I can file subjiras defining this release.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Well, two rubles would be about $0.07, which is pretty steep.

Don't think 9/22 is a bit too aggressive? Although, it really depends on the
how much we wanna do in this release.

I'd be more comfortable with a bit longer release cycle and focus on the
framework issues as well as updating the stack per BOM.

My 0.6(6) rubles ;)

Cos