Posted to dev@sirona.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2014/06/26 14:36:03 UTC

Re: 0.2 release later this week?

So my idea was to use something more modern than velocity for the UI :-)
I was thinking of something like angularjs or emberjs.
That will be definitely faster for dev (I started the path tracking UI
part I was just disappointed to have to restart just for small
changes)
The other goal is to increase the community. Yup I think "cool kids"
will prefer modern framework :-)

On the other side, I'd like to simplify the current code. I find hard
to get in (again this will help to increase the community)

Remember as we are in incubator it's very important to increase the community

Cheers
Olivier

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: 0.2 release later this week?

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.
First yes, creating a JAX-RS was already something I was looking for so
definitely +1.

For angularJS, even if i'm not a big fan (because of my poor js knowledge)
I do agree as well to make it the target.
If we do JAX-RS, then, that should be even easier.

JLouis

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 on my side too.

Regards
JB

On 06/27/2014 02:45 PM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> sure, perso I don't have any issue with using JAXRS.
>

> On 27 June 2014 21:49, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> well actually json as string works while you have 2-3 services but then it
>> is broken (in term of maintenance). That's why I proposed JAXRS.
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>>> implementation

>>> Well so I find that over complicated (multiple code doing the same
>>> stuff) for just sending/receiving String (json) :-)
>>>
>>> At least I can work on the ui to use angularjs (it's already possible
>>> to send json).
>>> I'm on holidays for the next 2 weeks so I will start that after.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Olivier

>>> (with a
>>> tomcat

>>> :-)
>>> UI

>>> have

>>> --
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: 0.2 release later this week?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
sure, perso I don't have any issue with using JAXRS.

On 27 June 2014 21:49, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> well actually json as string works while you have 2-3 services but then it
> is broken (in term of maintenance). That's why I proposed JAXRS.
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> On 27 June 2014 16:48, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Basically if I'm in a EE container I don't want to bring an
>> implementation
>> > but I just want to rely on my own one  (1) no conflicts, 2) no need,
>> > lighter jars, 3) dont learn another way to manage the app). If I'm not we
>> > need the glue jars (CXF mainly).
>> >
>> > Can look like:
>> >
>> > server
>> > -> jaxrs
>> > -> webapp-ee (= client part + jaxrs)
>> > -> webapp (= webapp-ee + jaxrs-container)
>> >

>> Well so I find that over complicated (multiple code doing the same
>> stuff) for just sending/receiving String (json) :-)
>>
>> At least I can work on the ui to use angularjs (it's already possible
>> to send json).
>> I'm on holidays for the next 2 weeks so I will start that after.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Olivier
>>

>> > Romain Manni-Bucau
>> > Twitter: @rmannibucau
>> > Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
>> > LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
>> > Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

>> (with a
>> tomcat

>> :-)
>> UI

>> have

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: 0.2 release later this week?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On 27 June 2014 16:48, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically if I'm in a EE container I don't want to bring an implementation
> but I just want to rely on my own one  (1) no conflicts, 2) no need,
> lighter jars, 3) dont learn another way to manage the app). If I'm not we
> need the glue jars (CXF mainly).
>
> Can look like:
>
> server
> -> jaxrs
> -> webapp-ee (= client part + jaxrs)
> -> webapp (= webapp-ee + jaxrs-container)

Well so I find that over complicated (multiple code doing the same
stuff) for just sending/receiving String (json) :-)

At least I can work on the ui to use angularjs (it's already possible
to send json).
I'm on holidays for the next 2 weeks so I will start that after.

Cheers
Olivier

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> On 26 June 2014 22:41, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > +0 (not 100% sure we need to reboot for a velocity change but not that
>> > important)
>> >
>> > I'd go with angularjs. Also wonder if we shouldn't go for JAX-RS (with a
>> > jar allowing to bring cxf etc if not in a EE container/ in a naked tomcat
>> > ;)).
>>
>> Why? (and how?)
>>

>> > wdyt?
>> >

>> > Romain Manni-Bucau
>> > Twitter: @rmannibucau
>> > Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
>> > LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
>> > Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: 0.2 release later this week?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On 26 June 2014 22:41, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +0 (not 100% sure we need to reboot for a velocity change but not that
> important)
>
> I'd go with angularjs. Also wonder if we shouldn't go for JAX-RS (with a
> jar allowing to bring cxf etc if not in a EE container/ in a naked tomcat
> ;)).

Why? (and how?)

> wdyt?
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

>> So my idea was to use something more modern than velocity for the UI :-)
>> I was thinking of something like angularjs or emberjs.
>> That will be definitely faster for dev (I started the path tracking UI
>> part I was just disappointed to have to restart just for small
>> changes)
>> The other goal is to increase the community. Yup I think "cool kids"
>> will prefer modern framework :-)
>>
>> On the other side, I'd like to simplify the current code. I find hard
>> to get in (again this will help to increase the community)
>>
>> Remember as we are in incubator it's very important to increase the
>> community
>>
>> Cheers
>> Olivier
>>
>> On 27 May 2014 19:03, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can you summarize what you have in mind?
>> > Even if it's not part of that release, I could work on that stuff.
>> >
>> > Jean-Louis

>> > --
>> > Jean-Louis
>>

>> --