Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Tarang Patel <ne...@rocketmail.com> on 2003/05/20 06:14:17 UTC

Https and what looks like a "Keep-Alive" problem

 Hi,

  I am using Jmeter 1.8.1 with JDK 1.4.0 on Sun
Solaris
  2.8

  I have a simple Https test, which works as expected
when I am expecting small response file. However when
I am dealing with a relatively large file, say 2MB
response file (an Image file), this test grinds to a
halt. For a sample set of 100 responses, I see an
average turn around of 1 sample every 4 minutes.

 [Q] Whats going on ?

 I had read the "Keep-Alive"  bug reports and figured
its possibly this which is to blame. However I don't
see this sort of latency when I getting the same
across "http".

 [Q] Was the "Keep-Alive" a problem with https only ?

 I thne downloaded a nightly build of 5/19/03, as the
"Keep-Alive" bug was noted to have been fixed. This
works as expected for the "http" request. However, the
SSL Manager doesn't open the "keystore", odd it
doesn't prompt me for a password either.

"jmeter.log" indicates that "keystore" appears to be
corrupt, but I know different given that Java Keytool
is able to list the certs, and also Jmeter 1.8.1 reads
the keystore without any problems.

 I've searched the bug list for similar report but
find none.

 I'd really appreciate an insight to this.

   Tarang.

Re: Https and what looks like a "Keep-Alive" problem

Posted by Tarang Patel <ne...@rocketmail.com>.
 If you mean the latency problem - then no it doesn't
go away.

 As for the Keystore, I don't need it as my server is
configured for one way SSL authentication. It was
needed by Jmeter 1.8.1 hence I mention  the difference
in SSL manager configuration.

  Tarang

Posted by ms...@apache.org.
Does the problem go away if you turn keep-alive off?

Do you need the keystore?  For typical browser use, there is no need for a
keystore on the client.  The previous implementation of keystore usage
interfered with several things, including running JMeter in non-gui mode, so I
fixed it in part by turning off the keystore stuff.

-Mike

On 19 May 2003 at 21:14, Tarang Patel wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>   I am using Jmeter 1.8.1 with JDK 1.4.0 on Sun
> Solaris
>   2.8
>
>   I have a simple Https test, which works as expected
> when I am expecting small response file. However when
> I am dealing with a relatively large file, say 2MB
> response file (an Image file), this test grinds to a
> halt. For a sample set of 100 responses, I see an
> average turn around of 1 sample every 4 minutes.
>
>  [Q] Whats going on ?
>
>  I had read the "Keep-Alive"  bug reports and figured
> its possibly this which is to blame. However I don't
> see this sort of latency when I getting the same
> across "http".
>
>  [Q] Was the "Keep-Alive" a problem with https only ?
>
>  I thne downloaded a nightly build of 5/19/03, as the
> "Keep-Alive" bug was noted to have been fixed. This
> works as expected for the "http" request. However, the
> SSL Manager doesn't open the "keystore", odd it
> doesn't prompt me for a password either.
>
> "jmeter.log" indicates that "keystore" appears to be
> corrupt, but I know different given that Java Keytool
> is able to list the certs, and also Jmeter 1.8.1 reads
> the keystore without any problems.
>
>  I've searched the bug list for similar report but
> find none.
>
>  I'd really appreciate an insight to this.
>
>    Tarang.

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya