Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Julio Biason <ju...@azion.com> on 2018/05/02 12:52:29 UTC

Cannot submit jobs on a HA Standalone JobManager

Hello all,

I'm building a standalone cluster with HA JobManager. So far, everything
seems to work, but when i try to `flink run` my job, it fails with the
following error:

Caused by:
org.apache.flink.runtime.leaderretrieval.LeaderRetrievalException: Could
not retrieve the leader gateway.

So far, I have two different machines running the JobManager and, looking
at the logs, I can't see any problem whatsoever to explain why the flink
command is refusing to run the pipeline...

Any ideas where I should look?

--
*Julio Biason*, Sofware Engineer
*AZION*  |  Deliver. Accelerate. Protect.

Re: Cannot submit jobs on a HA Standalone JobManager

Posted by Gary Yao <ga...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi Julio,

I agree that the job submission should work in HA mode if you manually
specify
the JobManager. At the minimum a proper error message should be shown. Feel
free
to open an issue in JIRA.

You already stated that you can maintain multiple configuration directories
as a
workaround. It is possible to switch between them by setting the
FLINK_CONF_DIR
environment variable, e.g,

  FLINK_CONF_DIR=/path/to/conf-dir-1 bin/flink run ...
  FLINK_CONF_DIR=/path/to/conf-dir-2 bin/flink run ...

Beginning from 1.5 this should be a non-issue because the job submission
happens
through HTTP and every non-leading master redirects requests to the leading
master.

Best,
Gary

Posted by Julio Biason <ju...@azion.com>.
Hey Gary (again),

Posted by Julio Biason <ju...@azion.com>.
Hey Gary,

Posted by Gary Yao <ga...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi Julio,

Posted by Julio Biason <ju...@azion.com>.
Hey guys and gals,

[...]

org.apache.flink.client.program.ClusterClient.run(ClusterClient.java:402)
        at
org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.executeProgram(CliFrontend.java:802)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.run(CliFrontend.java:282)
        at
org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.parseParameters(CliFrontend.java:1054)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend$1.call(CliFrontend.java:1101)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend$1.call(CliFrontend.java:1098)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1698)
        at
org.apache.flink.runtime.security.HadoopSecurityContext.runSecured(HadoopSecurityContext.java:41)
        at org.apache.flink.client.CliFrontend.main(CliFrontend.java:1098)
Caused by: org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobTimeoutException: JobManager
did not respond within 60000 ms
        at
org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClient.submitJobDetached(JobClient.java:437)
        at
org.apache.flink.client.program.ClusterClient.runDetached(ClusterClient.java:516)
        ... 14 more
Caused by: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException
        at
java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.timedGet(CompletableFuture.java:1771)
        at
java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(CompletableFuture.java:1915)
        at
org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClient.submitJobDetached(JobClient.java:435)