Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Steffen Moldenhauer <s....@intershop.de.INVALID> on 2023/03/13 11:59:23 UTC

Solr Operator Solr Pod slow restart cp-solr-xml time

Hi,

we're using the Solr Operator 0.6.0
In some of our deployments a restart of Solr Pods will take minutes up to half an hour.
The init container cp-solr-xml with the command
cp /tmp/solr.xml /tmp-config/solr.xml && chown -R 8983:8983
         /var/solr/data/backup-restore/local-collection-backups-1
esp. the recursive chown seems to be the cause.  We mitigated it a bit by cleaning up the backup volume regularly. But there are deployments with a larger number of collections (~400) and then it is still slow.

How can we avoid this or how can we speed that up? Would a  find -not -user X -not -group X | xargs chown make sense/a difference here?

Regards
Steffen Moldenhauer

Re: Solr Operator Solr Pod slow restart cp-solr-xml time

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/14/23 08:45, Steffen Moldenhauer wrote:
> It is a azurefile-csi storage.  I think that's some kind of SMB. Yes that's slow (and cheapest) but sufficed for the requirements for the backup performance so far.
> There is round about a daily backup for all collections kept for 7 days. So it's ~ 7x400 backups.

If Solr is the only thing writing to the backup location, and all your
Solr instances are using 8983:8983 for uid:gid, then my opinion is that
you comment/remove the chown from the startup, as everything should be
correct as far as permissions go and further chowns should be unnecessary.

If you have something other than Solr that is reading the backups that
uses a different UID than 8983, then you'll need to make sure that it
has correct permissions, probably by adding it to the solr (8983) group.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: Solr Operator Solr Pod slow restart cp-solr-xml time

Posted by Steffen Moldenhauer <s....@intershop.de.INVALID>.
It is a azurefile-csi storage.  I think that's some kind of SMB. Yes that's slow (and cheapest) but sufficed for the requirements for the backup performance so far.
There is round about a daily backup for all collections kept for 7 days. So it's ~ 7x400 backups.

Thanks for the ideas.
Steffen

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by matthew sporleder <ms...@gmail.com>.
What type of filesystem is this one?  It should be a PV.

Even 400 collections shouldn't be that many files.