Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2007/07/09 03:27:06 UTC

[OT, slightly] Some interesting metrics on Lucene

http://www.ohloh.net/projects/3564 has some interesting metrics on
Lucene (and Solr and Nutch).  Most interesting is that they estimate
it is 34 person years to develop at a cost of approximately $1.8
million dollars (using a salary of $55k)

One thing they do not do in their analysis is look at the help that
people give to the community.  There are many people in the community
who contribute a whole lot of time answering questions, etc. who
never submit a single patch.  They also don't properly credit the
people who created the original patch, merely giving credit to the
committer who applied it.

At any rate, I thought it was interesting.

Cheers,
Grant

Re: [OT, slightly] Some interesting metrics on Lucene

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Yep, I didn't really think the money was all that accurate, just
thought it was interesting that someone was trying to quantify it.
Like I said it also severely sells short the contributions of the
community, putting all credit into the committers (for all projects)
which is far from accurate.

-Grant

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.