Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/01/04 06:32:50 UTC

Re: Integration Testing

Jason - any further thoughts on this?

Re: Integration Testing

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
my only recommendation would be to take a look at the maven-assembly-plugin
(SVN:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-assembly-plugin)
and go for something like that...

Re: Integration Testing

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Integration Testing

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
Jerome, that link contains information on the strategy I've been using in
the assembly plugin, and it seems to work well (although it's a bit slower,
since it's spawning so many Maven builds). I'm hoping to converge the tools
we're using in the core ITs with those in the maven-component-test-plugin
(used to be maven-plugin-test-plugin), and the maven-invoker-plugin, and
arrive at some single solution (a plugin) that we can use everywhere...but I
haven't even been able to come up with a unified feature list yet.

-john

Re: Integration Testing

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Integration Testing

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 2/24/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> > I'd like to get your summary put somewhere individuals can pick
> > things off to work on - probably a jira project for shared. WDYT?
> >

> I put the summary here for now, it's pretty elaborate and can most
> likely be worked on easily. Given one or two people have expressed
> interested or worked on the ITs I think that will suffice.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/core-integration-testing/trunk/
> ITProblems.txt

Is there something that describes how to setup IT tests for plugins
and how to go about it?

I'm trying to use TDD to verify that the plugin I am testing, is
correctly attaching the write output to the project. via setArtifact
and addAttachedArtifact.

I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Re: Integration Testing

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 23 Feb 07, at 10:08 PM 23 Feb 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 04/01/2007, at 4:32 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> Jason - any further thoughts on this?
>
> Ping... No is a valid answer :)
>
> I'd like to get your summary put somewhere individuals can pick
> things off to work on - probably a jira project for shared. WDYT?

I put the summary here for now, it's pretty elaborate and can most
likely be worked on easily. Given one or two people have expressed
interested or worked on the ITs I think that will suffice.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/core-integration-testing/trunk/
ITProblems.txt

The top things that could be done:

1) The issues that would be most helpful that could be tackled on a
piecewise basis by many would be to take plugin specific ITs out of
the ITs. There are many in there for the surefire plugin so while
you're doing that you can look at it. Piecewise but probably totally
simple because you have to replace it with an IT that actually tests
what it was testing. A lot of time I have had to make a new IT plugin
flavour.

2) The next issue of importance would be to collect all the in IT
plugin plugins, invokers and verifiers and align all theses.

3) Once 2) is done then we wire the embedder option into the
resulting invoker.

As far as them working in situ: the ITs could now run from the top
level of http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/core-integration-
testing/trunk/ with an addition to the POM. It's not there because I
generally build from the top-level and then walk into  http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/core-integration-testing/trunk/core-
integration-tests/. The invoker plugin has been released and that's
what I used to install the supporting artifacts because they can't
install in a reactor run normally because there are 5 artifacts with
the id.

I am not entirely happy with the structure we have but I don't think
it's worth changing right now until 1) and 2) are done. It's not
obvious how to run them from and IDE and that's where I've found it
to be most convenient to run them.

Re: Integration Testing

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.