Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com> on 2005/03/13 06:47:25 UTC

Re: [Slight OT] Problems with perl modules req for rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.2.tar.gz

Jens Ahlin wrote:
> When trying to build rpm using rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.2.tar.gz
> fails with
> error: Failed build dependencies:
>         perl(Digest::SHA1) is needed by spamassassin-3.0.2-1
>         perl(HTML::Parser) is needed by spamassassin-3.0.2-1
>
> After installing these modules using CPAN rpmbuild still fails with the
> same error.

You are mixing CPAN installations and RPM installations.  RPM does not
know about CPAN.  Once you have made the decision to install from CPAN
you are commited to installing everything from CPAN.  You should
either install everything with CPAN or install everything with RPM.
Don't mix them.  The person with two clocks is never really sure of
the current time.

Since you have been installing perl modules by CPAN you should
probably just continue and install spamassassin by CPAN too.  Which
means you don't need to build an rpm package.  But if you want rpm to
know that you have those perl modules installed then you need to
install them by RPM.

> Installing these modules from RPMS solves the problem. Why isn't rpmbuild
> find the modules installed using CPAN.

Your question is rather like Bilbo Baggins asking "What do I have in
my pocket?"  How would RPM know what you have installed by CPAN?

Bob

Re: [Slight OT] Problems with perl modules req for rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.2.tar.gz

Posted by Jens Ahlin <ma...@caleotech.com>.
> Jens Ahlin wrote:
>> When trying to build rpm using rpmbuild -tb
>> Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.2.tar.gz
>> fails with
>> error: Failed build dependencies:
>>         perl(Digest::SHA1) is needed by spamassassin-3.0.2-1
>>         perl(HTML::Parser) is needed by spamassassin-3.0.2-1
>>
>> After installing these modules using CPAN rpmbuild still fails with the
>> same error.
>
> You are mixing CPAN installations and RPM installations.  RPM does not
> know about CPAN.  Once you have made the decision to install from CPAN
> you are commited to installing everything from CPAN.  You should
> either install everything with CPAN or install everything with RPM.
> Don't mix them.  The person with two clocks is never really sure of
> the current time.
>
> Since you have been installing perl modules by CPAN you should
> probably just continue and install spamassassin by CPAN too.  Which
> means you don't need to build an rpm package.  But if you want rpm to
> know that you have those perl modules installed then you need to
> install them by RPM.
>
>> Installing these modules from RPMS solves the problem. Why isn't
>> rpmbuild
>> find the modules installed using CPAN.
>
> Your question is rather like Bilbo Baggins asking "What do I have in
> my pocket?"  How would RPM know what you have installed by CPAN?
>
> Bob

Thanks for the clarification.

     Jens

Re: [Slight OT] Problems with perl modules req for rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.2.tar.gz

Posted by Matthias Keller <li...@matthias-keller.ch>.
Bob Proulx wrote:

>Jens Ahlin wrote:
>

>>When trying to build rpm using rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.2.tar.gz
>>fails with
>>error: Failed build dependencies:
>>        perl(Digest::SHA1) is needed by spamassassin-3.0.2-1
>>        perl(HTML::Parser) is needed by spamassassin-3.0.2-1
>>
>>After installing these modules using CPAN rpmbuild still fails with the
>>same error.
>>

>You are mixing CPAN installations and RPM installations.  RPM does not
>know about CPAN.  Once you have made the decision to install from CPAN
>you are commited to installing everything from CPAN.  You should
>either install everything with CPAN or install everything with RPM.
>Don't mix them.  The person with two clocks is never really sure of
>the current time.
>
>Since you have been installing perl modules by CPAN you should
>probably just continue and install spamassassin by CPAN too.  Which
>means you don't need to build an rpm package.  But if you want rpm to
>know that you have those perl modules installed then you need to
>install them by RPM.

Hi

If you really want to keep everything updated with CPAN except for SA
you can always do a forced install to ignore dependencies or - better -
edit the spec file not to depend on those modules which aren't RPMized
and just make sure for yourself that they're up to date via CPAN...
(Makes distributing that RPM afterwards very hard tough...)

Matt