Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com> on 2005/04/12 13:37:43 UTC

State of the Head

HEAD on our CVS is currently broken (tests dont pass).  Thats the reason
why I haven't been merging patches/bugfixes for a while...

including the powerpoint work by Nick (who just added some write support
today.. cool!)..I plan to play around with Nick's  powerpoint code, but
feel blocked by the fact that head is not all OK..

So this mail is to say that any help on this highly appreciated :).I'm
planning to put some work on this in the next couple of weeks.

Regards
-
Avik

Re: State of the Head

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Am Dienstag, den 12.04.2005, 17:07 +0530 schrieb Avik Sengupta:
> So this mail is to say that any help on this highly appreciated :).I'm
> planning to put some work on this in the next couple of weeks.

I do very much appreciate any efforts that go into a functioning HEAD
and into a state-of-the-art POI release. HPSF has writing support since
2003 but it has never made it into a POI release since we couldn't
rollout one due to HSSF errors.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Inhibit software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Re: State of the Head

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
One of the tests that fail on HEAD currently is test15556 in
o.a.p.hssf.usermodel.TestBugs

This test just opens a file that is attached to bug 15556 in bugzilla.
However, the error is not the same as in that bug (an SSTDeserialize
issue that has since been fixed)... currently it fails in creating an
ObjRecord (the file has many diagrams)

    [junit] Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 33
    [junit]     at
org.apache.poi.util.LittleEndian.getNumber(LittleEndian.java:491)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.poi.util.LittleEndian.getShort(LittleEndian.java:52)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.ObjRecord.fillFields(ObjRecord.java:98)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.Record.fillFields(Record.java:90)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.Record.<init>(Record.java:55)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.ObjRecord.<init>(ObjRecord.java:61)

Glen, anything you can think of?

Regards
-
Avik

Re: State of the Head

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
The following commit:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-poi/src/java/org/apache/poi/hssf/usermodel/HSSFWorkbook.java?r1=1.36&r2=1.37

for bug 30951

seemed to have been done without running all tests, probably coz there
were other tests failing at that time :( .. which is why I have been
apprehensive of accepting any patch till previous errors have been
removed.

This commit throws an exception if, while creating a sheet, a sheet
exits in the workbook with the same name. Which is fine, however, there
seems to be some issue with naming even the first sheet you create as
'Sheet1', where the following code fails.

            HSSFWorkbook     wb     = new HSSFWorkbook();
            HSSFSheet        s      = wb.createSheet("Sheet1");

ie, POI seems to think that a sheet named 'Sheet1' exists even in a new
workbook!

Still investigating.

Regards
-