Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us> on 2004/05/24 15:51:24 UTC

Authorname munging

Somewhat related to the workflow discussion... is there a safe way to
edit the names of authors submitting commits before the commit takes
place? I am authenticating against a Windows domain, and since it is
case-insensitive, I would like to ensure author names are always
lowercase when commiting.

The "pre-commit" hook script says that modifying the transaction to take
place is unsafe, yet Ben is saying editing the authorname is fine.
Where, then, should this edit take place?

Re: Authorname munging

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 10:51, Toby Johnson wrote:

> The "pre-commit" hook script says that modifying the transaction to take
> place is unsafe, yet Ben is saying editing the authorname is fine.
> Where, then, should this edit take place?

The pre-commit hook shouldn't modify versioned data, because the client
currently assumes that it won't change, and there's no way for the
server to tell the client that data was munged.

But it *should be* safe for the pre-commit hook to change unversioned
rev/txn properties (either your own custom ones, or standard ones like
svn:author).  The client makes no assumptions about those.  After the
commit completes, the server sends back a structure to the client that
describes the new revnum/author/date, which the client stores.