Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pete <pg...@telesoft-technologies.com> on 2004/09/13 16:50:18 UTC

Help setting up a default web application

Hi All,

	I was hoping that someone would be able to explain that when I set a
Context in the server.xml:

<Context path="" docBase="mygui" debug="0" reloadable="false"
crossContext="false"/>

that tomcat appears to load mygui two instances of mygui.

Basically all I need is that when a user type in the ip address of the box
running tomcat, tomcat points the user directly to mygui and displays my
custom welcome page.

Is this a dodgy configuration on my part and if so how do I resolve this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

RE: Help setting up a default web application

Posted by Pete <pg...@telesoft-technologies.com>.
Hi Ben,

        Thanks for your help, unfortunatly that still has not solved my
problem. Below is the content of my server.xml file:

        <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener" debug="0" />
        <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
debug="0" />
        <!--  Global JNDI resources -->
        <GlobalNamingResources>
                <!--  Test entry for demonstration purposes  -->
                <Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer"
value="30" />
                <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users -->
type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase" description="User database that can
be updated and saved" />
                <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase">
                        <parameter>
                                <name>factory</name>

<value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value>
                        </parameter>
                        <parameter>
                                <name>pathname</name>
                                <value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value>
                        </parameter>
                </ResourceParams>
        </GlobalNamingResources>
        <!--
        A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
        a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible
        within that Container).  Normally, that Container is an "Engine",
        but this is not required.

        Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
        define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this
level. -->
        <!--  Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
        <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">
                <!--  Define a non-SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port
8080 -->
                <Connector
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" port="80"
minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="true"
redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
                <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set
connectionTimeout value to -1 -->

                <!--  Define a Coyote/JK2 AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
                <Connector
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector" port="8009"
minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="true"
redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="0"
useURIValidationHack="false"
protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler" />
                <!--
                An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that
processes
                every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand
alone
                analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and
passes them
                on to the appropriate Host (virtual host). -->

                <!--  Define the top level container in our container
hierarchy -->
                <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
                        <!--
                        The request dumper valve dumps useful debugging
information about
                        the request headers and cookies that were received,
and the response
                        headers and cookies that were sent, for all requests
received by
                        this instance of Tomcat.  If you care only about
requests to a
                        particular virtual host, or a particular
application, nest this
                        element inside the corresponding <Host> or <Context>
entry instead.

                        For a similar mechanism that is portable to all
Servlet 2.3
                        containers, check out the "RequestDumperFilter"
Filter in the
                        example application (the source for this filter may
be found in

"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").

                        Request dumping is disabled by default.  Uncomment
the following
                        element to enable it. -->
                        <!--  Global logger unless overridden at lower
levels -->
                        <Logger
className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger" prefix="catalina_log."
suffix=".txt" timestamp="true" />
                        <!--  Because this Realm is here, an instance will
be shared globally -->
                        <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in
the global JNDI
                        resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
                        that are performed against this UserDatabase are
immediately
                        available for use by the Realm.  -->
                        <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm" debug="0"
resourceName="UserDatabase" />
                        <!--  Define the default virtual host -->
                        <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false">
                                <!-- <Context path="" docBase="mygui"
debug="0" reloadable="false" crossContext="false" /> -->
                                <Context path="/" docBase="mygui" debug="0"
reloadable="false" crossContext="false" />
                        </Host>
                </Engine>
        </Service>
</Server>

The version of tomcat that I am using is 4.1.27.

the trace from the catalina.out is as follows:

[INFO] Registry - -Loading registry information
[INFO] Registry - -Creating new Registry instance
[INFO] Registry - -Creating MBeanServer
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.27
Initialising static classes ...
Using XML Parser - Xerces-J 2.4.0
Using XML Parser - Xerces-J 2.4.0
Using XML Parser - Xerces-J 2.4.0
time taken to parse configuration file - 511ms
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 80
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8009
[INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=0 time=1/31
config=/export/home/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27/conf/jk2.properties
[INFO] PropertyMessageResources - -Initializing,
config='org.apache.struts.util.LocalStrings', returnNull=true
[INFO] PropertyMessageResources - -Initializing,
config='org.apache.struts.action.ActionResources', returnNull=true
[INFO] PropertyMessageResources - -Initializing,
config='org.apache.webapp.admin.ApplicationResources', returnNull=true
Initialising static classes ...  <---- Here is the problem the listener is
loaded instanciated again loaded again!!!!!
Using XML Parser - Xerces-J 2.4.0
Using XML Parser - Xerces-J 2.4.0
Thanks again for your help

Basically i use my listener to load create a server socket for one of our
apps to connect to.

Thanks again for your help

Pete

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.