Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam L <ad...@hotmail.com> on 2004/01/20 06:39:12 UTC

problems w/ logging.. again

I've scoured the archives. I"ve tried a million different log4j.properties configurations, some with .xml, some with commons-logging.properties.  I've read the links to the apache site that seem to focus mainly on how to use logging from the programmatic aspect (and had no luck with the examples provided on the configuration aspect).

in theory, these changes should take hold when i bounce the application (touch web.xml), rather than the entire app server.. correct?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a configuration issue elsewhere.

jdk is 1.4.2, jboss 3.0.8/jetty, struts 1.1.

in my web.xml i've set the debug parm on ActionServlet to 2, 9, 99, 999
in struts-config.xml, for the controller,  i've set debug to 2,9,99,999

i cut and paste examples in the archives claiming to remove "00:24:09,816 INFO  [PropertyMessageResources] Initializing, config='org.apache.struts.taglib.html.LocalStrings', returnNull=true" from the logs.. and they don't.

I've set my log levels to WARN, DEBUG, INFO.. and see no changes.

What I'm trying to achieve is the debug info from the workflow extension controller to aid in debugging problems in my workflow, as well as turn off some of the extraneous struts messages.

If someone would please be willing to hold my hand and guide me, my quickly receding hairline and I would be in great appreciation.

thank you.

Re: problems w/ logging.. again

Posted by Curtis Taylor <c....@verizon.net>.
Hi Adam,

If you're using JBoss you need to edit the server's log4j.xml config file. For
3.2.2 it lives in $JBOSS_HOME/server/all|default|minimal/conf/. Edit the one in
the server subdirectory you deploy your app to.

HTH,

Curtis

Re: problems w/ logging.. again

Posted by Adam L <ad...@hotmail.com>.
Because I can't be for sure that the applications will be running in the
future on 1.3 or 1.4, so i'm attempting to keep them neutral in the logging
solution.

which still leaves me with getting log4j or whatever else working properly.

yes, I did see that the debug on the controller has been deprecated. I
recall getting the debug logging working at one point, but that might have
been on a pre 1.1 release, and I can't remember what I did to turn it on (it
was a very minor change)

RE: problems w/ logging.. again

Posted by Navjot Singh <na...@net4india.net>.