Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by saimon <sa...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/12/11 01:20:57 UTC

Re: [plugin.properties] automated generation and documentation

Any thoughts about adopting a standard xml structure where each plugin
would list its properties so that gui wrappers have an easy time of
getting at all the plugin properties...

Martin, how are you tackling this atm?

Saimon

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Re: [plugin.properties] automated generation and documentation

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 19:20, saimon wrote:
> Any thoughts about adopting a standard xml structure where each plugin
> would list its properties so that gui wrappers have an easy time of
> getting at all the plugin properties...

There is a plugin object, which extends a project object, so put it in
the model somewhere so that GUI tools can simply use MavenUtils pull in
the plugin object and then everything is simple.

> [...]
> >>
> >> Well, I think properties of plugins should be cleanly documented it an
> >> xml file and then read and interpreted by the IDE plugin and shown on
> >> screen. We've done something like that in xdoclet, each module has an
> >> xtags.xml file which defines all the @tags, properties of tags, type of
> >> the property, level and other constraints. So the IDEA/JEDit/whatever
> >> plugin reads it and constructs a gui that let's you edit them visually.
> >> This way we didn't have to create a specific plugin for each specific
> >> module. It's not a 'documentation' xml file like xdoc, it follows a
> >> well-defined dtd. Imho the same should be done for Maven too. So there
> >> will be a module-properties.xml file adhering to a dtd in meta-inf of
> >> each module. This file will be read by both the IDE gui and also XSLT-ed
> >> to xdoc for document generation. What do you think?

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [plugin.properties] automated generation and documentation

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Hi Saimon,

Currently (a part of) the list you specify is supported by the mevenide
eclipse plugin (actually one on the few things that work). It's just
added to the preference page in eclipse. So eclipse arranges storage of
those settings via the generic preference stuff in eclipse.
Probably I need to start working on it again, currently the project is
kind of sleeping :) Probably need some planning to set some priorities
:)

Mvgr,
Martin