Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> on 2012/12/04 08:34:12 UTC

apache/maven-3 at Github

This git repo at Github mirrors the old Git repo. Is it possible to change
that to the new git repo, or should it be removed all together?

/Anders

Re: apache/maven-3 at Github

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
if the diff is included in the mail then that would be sufficient imo. But I'd rather ping back to board if this is fine.

If the mail is created with git-format-patch and later applied via git-am then this should be as fine as JIRA imo. Still a JIRA reference should be there for referencing in the release notes, etc.

My main point is that a hell lot of github forks have a pretty unclear provenance and a rather questionable quality :/

I really like github for some stuff, but nowadays it somehow looks like a dustbin which didn't get cleaned up since ages ;)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: apache/maven-3 at Github

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
But to make this more clear, we will only accept pull changes if they come along with an identical JIRA with the diff. You also must make sure that you are the only one who has changed something in the contribution. It's way to easy to fake author Ids on github...

The committer which applies the patch or signs off the pull request must make sure that all IP is cleared.

Another reason for not having our cannonical repo on github - and even for having a cannonical repo at all - is that we do not like the the 'fork creeping' which we've seen on github quite often.

As example: There are quite some codehaus mojo projects which did move from codehaus svn to github. Almost all of them are dead dead dead in the meantime :(

Now what happened? It was obviously very easy to fork those projects and to fix their own problems. But most people didn't care about getting the bugfixes back to the 'main' git repo nor even to get feedback from the community. If you look at a few of those old codehaus mojo projects you will see that most of them have 25++ forks with changes (actually there are much more forks _without_ changes). Together with Fred Cooke I tried to grasp an idea what went wrong with the osxappbundle-maven-plugin. The result was that ALL of the forks on github are broken! People only fixed _their_ issue but always broke other scenarios! There was no single plugin which e.g. worked with OSX 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 (was before 1.8 came out). Serious folks, thats Kindergarten and we don't like this in an ASF project!

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: apache/maven-3 at Github