Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/01/16 01:59:32 UTC

Name server and jmenv.tbsite.net

Hi,
I have two things related to the broker and name server components I would like to discuss about:
1. When a user does not set name server address at the broker as an env variable, (when enabled) an attempt to get the information from jmenv.tbsite.net is done. This is the current behavior.I don't know what jmenv.tbsite.net is (I could never connect to it), but it looks like something very specific to Alibaba (or some segment of companies) and can be removed. In other words, I think if there is some functionality, any user should be able to use it when needed.
I propose removing TopAddressing (with jmenv.tbsite.net constant) and having the following very simple behavior -- if a name server is specified by the user, use it at the broker; otherwise make the startup fail with an error message.
2. How about having name server set in a broker.conf file with other broker settings, rather than having it as an env variable?

Roman

Re: Name server and jmenv.tbsite.net

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Von,
Thanks for the explanation.Having it as a constant is ok. But my concern is -- we have a component in the code that can make calls to a service (jmenv.tbsite.net in this case) that a user knows nothing about. IMO, at least, there should be an explanation about how a user can configure a similar nameserver service.
I think it isn't urgent though. I'll create a JIRA issue for 4.1.0 version, as you suggested, and let's discuss it there;) Roman

    On Monday, January 23, 2017 5:28 PM, Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org> wrote:

 Hi Roman,

jmenv.tbsite.net <http://jmenv.tbsite.net/> is just the default value for dynamic nameserver(Component for service discovery and meta-data config) lookup url. I have extracted it into a constant.

We can consider it to be a dns for nameserver lookup, so if you not set this value. you must set the nameserver physical ip. IMO, if we support config file for this value, we must consider the priority between env and conf. We can postpone it until the 4.1.0 version, thoughts ?

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
Hi Roman,

Posted by Roman Shtykh <rs...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
What do you mean by the "default value"?The user will specify the name server in the config file (that can be different for different clusters). If it is not specified, the broker fails to startup because if no name server can be found, no useful work can be done. Roman Shtykh

    On Monday, January 16, 2017 3:50 PM, chandresh pancholi <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Rather than making it fail with an error message I would suggest to read
default from the config file and convey it in the log.

--
Chandresh Pancholi
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Name server and jmenv.tbsite.net