Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Riechert, Andree" <An...@dkib.com> on 2007/08/14 11:08:26 UTC

Concurrent threads per session (limit = 3 ?)

Hi,

if I am using the firefox browser to send requests to a tomcat servlet
all new browser tabs belonging to the
same session. I am running AJAX requests which block the servlet request
thread 60 seconds waiting for a certain event. This leads
to the uncomfortable behavior that the fourth request to the same
session blocks until one of the other requests return/finishes.

It seems to me that the tomcat (v 5.5) limits the number of threads per
session to 3. I would like
to increase this number to prevent blocking of further requests.

How can I adjust this setting ?

Greetings
Andree

________________
Dresdner Bank AG
Sitz/Registered Office: Frankfurt am Main, Handelsregister/Commercial Register: Amtsgericht/Local Court, Frankfurt am Main, HRB 14000
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Michael Diekmann
Vorstand/Board of Managing Directors: Herbert Walter (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Andreas Georgi, Franz Herrlein, Stefan Jentzsch, Wulf Meier, Andree Moschner, Klaus Rosenfeld, Otto Steinmetz, Friedrich Woebking

This e-mail is confidential and the information contained in it may be privileged.  It should not be read, copied or used by anyone other than the intended recipient.  If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by telephoning +44 (0)20 7623 8000 or by return email, and delete the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person.  We believe, but do not warrant, that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free, but you must take full responsibility for virus checking.  Please refer to http://www.dresdnerkleinwort.com/disc/email/ and read our e-mail disclaimer statement and monitoring policy.
________________

Re: Concurrent threads per session (limit = 3 ?)

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
I doubt tomcat limits the number of Threads per session. To get the
session id, tomcat need to parse the request, but this parsing occurs in
the Http-Thread that handle that network connection. Having that
HTTP-thread wait would be, for tomcat, wasting a Thread.

On the other hand, it's common courtesy of browser to limit the number
of connection per server to a reasonable amount (4 or 8 generally). AJAX
request can't escape that limit :)

Since you are using firefox, i suggest you take a look at
about:config -> filter=network.http

You might find there useful configuration helps.

En l'instant précis du 14/08/07 11:08, Riechert, Andree s'exprimait en
ces termes:

--
http://www.noooxml.org/

RE: Concurrent threads per session (limit = 3 ?)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Riechert, Andree [mailto:Andree.Riechert@dkib.com]
> Subject: Concurrent threads per session (limit = 3 ?)
>
> It seems to me that the tomcat (v 5.5) limits the number of
> threads per session to 3.

As David pointed out, it's not Tomcat imposing a limit - it's Firefox
complying with the recommended limit in the HTTP RFC.  If you want to
change it, the pertinent about:config tags are:

network.http.max-connections
network.http.max-connections-per-server
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server
network.http.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
network.http.proxy.pipelining

 - Chuck