Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Darren Kukulka <Da...@connaught.plc.uk> on 2006/09/15 09:58:17 UTC

JConsole query

HI There,

Just a quick question regarding the JConsole tool we use to monitor Tomcat5 instances - 2 to be precise.

We've noticed that within the Memory display window the breakdown of Heap usage shows three areas and their utilisation.  The descriptions of each space differs between the servers, even though essentially they are configured identically.

They are both running Tomcat 5.5.15 on a Windows 2003 Server and differ slightly with their JVM (one is running the server JVM, the other is running the client JVM).

Server 1 - SUN JRE 1.5.0_06-b05 - shows "Eden", "Survivor" and "Tenured" space names

Server 2 - SUN JRE 1.5.0_06-b05 - shows "PS Survivor", "PS Eden" and "PS Old Gen" space names.

Can anybody explain this behaviour to me?

Cheers,

Darren

Connaught honoured AIM 'Decade of Excellence' Award

Connaught awarded Partnering Contractor of the Year 2005

Connaught wins AIM 'Company of the Year' award 2004

West of England Business of the Year Award Winner 2003

Why not visit our website http://www.connaught.plc.uk

Disclaimer:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this message.

Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546

Re: JConsole query

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Darren Kukulka wrote:
> HI There,
>
> Just a quick question regarding the JConsole tool we use to monitor Tomcat5 instances - 2 to be precise.
>
> We've noticed that within the Memory display window the breakdown of Heap usage shows three areas and their utilisation.  The descriptions of each space differs between the servers, even though essentially they are configured identically.
>
> They are both running Tomcat 5.5.15 on a Windows 2003 Server and differ slightly with their JVM (one is running the server JVM, the other is running the client JVM).
>
> Server 1 - SUN JRE 1.5.0_06-b05 - shows "Eden", "Survivor" and "Tenured" space names
>
> Server 2 - SUN JRE 1.5.0_06-b05 - shows "PS Survivor", "PS Eden" and "PS Old Gen" space names.
>
> Can anybody explain this behaviour to me?

You're getting different different generations because Java 5 is
recognizing Server 2 as a server class machine -- due to heap
allocation, total memory on the machine and such -- and it's not doing
this on Server 1.

I must admit I'm a bit confused myself about when each occurs as the
documented rules don't seem to actually quite be followed.

--
Jess Holle