Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es> on 2001/12/18 17:53:29 UTC

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-jetspeed/src/java/org/apache/jetspeed/mod ules/localization JetspeedLocalization.properties JetspeedLocalization_e n .properties JetspeedLocalization_es.properties

> Ignacio,
> I take back my "Now I know why we need both".  When I set my browser
> language to German, I see the German version of "username" and
> "password" and the default "home", which is what I expected because
> "home" is not set in the german localization file.  How is this
> different from the behavior you are seeing?

The problem arises when i change my browser locale to "en", in my system
the default locale is "es", so turbine does found the en ones ( because
they are the default and did not have a en suffix), it gives my back the
strings in "es" locale ( my default) and not in "en", if i rename the
default to "_en", the behaviour is correct i see english strings when
the browser locale is "en" and spanish ones when the broser local is es,
and es ones when not locale is setted in the browser..

This is a problem in the properties management in Java in general, when
the default locale differs from the real default locale in the Java
environment, the default can not be reached in any way..

This *not* a problem in turbine or jetspeed.., When the locale is not
"en" the correct properties config is allways used adding "_*" suffix,
and never using a "default" locale, if this were this way no problem
will arise ever, but in fact when the locale properties are not
available, Java needs a default to be able to produce strings at all..
so actually we need both *.properites and *_en.properties files.. a Java
glitch ( reported as bug in Sun's bug parade, but marked "as designed "
by some clever Sun engineer..:)

> I did notice that not all properties have a default value.  So is the
> root problem "missing default values"?

I dont recall that problem.. please explain a bit more ..

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Ignacio,
Some of the DISPLAYUSER_xxx EDITACCONT_xxx parameters do not have
english defaults.  I am not sure where their are used.

Paul Spencer

Ignacio J. Ortega wrote:

>>I did notice that not all properties have a default value.  So is the
>>root problem "missing default values"?
>>

> I dont recall that problem.. please explain a bit more ..
>

> Saludos ,
> Ignacio J. Ortega

Paul Spencer