Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2005/11/15 09:05:51 UTC

[all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions

Hi!

It turns out that it is required to fix the crlf (EOL) thing when
building distributions for windows distributions.
A "windows distribution" is a distribution packed as zip file.

Maven will add support to define a filter to setup the extension of the
files to convert.

Anyway I think we should find a standard how to setup this filter.

The extension in question are:

[ ] .txt
[ ] .java
[ ] .properties
[ ] .xml
[ ] .css

.java, .properties, .xml, .css might be problematic as we might get
diffs with the wrong line ending then - on the other hand for an
developer its not needed as every IDE can handle LF only line endings
and our source code format should define this (the LF ending) as required.

So only .txt might be save as this is generally the release notes files
and getting patches for it is very unlikely ;-)

What do you think?

My personal vote goes to .txt only.

Thanks!
Mario

Re: [all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/3/05, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Just add something like this in the maven.xml (the test is pretty useless probably..):
>     <j:if test="${os != 'Linux'}">
>       <ant:fixcrlf srcdir="." includes="${abatchfile}" eol="dos"/>
>     </j:if>
>
> And of course you should add xmlns:ant="jelly:ant" to have the ant namespace available..
>
> Don't know from the top of my head which target to hijack when using the dist target (this was using a completely custom made dist target)

Which is what you need to do to make that work.  You can't pregoal any
of the subgoals of dist to make this work, unfortunately.  Requires a
patch to the dist plugin itself, which has been applied to svn head.
What is in svn head now does not allow the filter to be configured.  I
will submit another patch that allows both crlf and lf filters to be
configured.  We can choose to ignore the lf conversion if that is the
consensus, but apply crlf to .txt and other files for zips.

Phil

Re: [all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Hi Stephen,

Just add something like this in the maven.xml (the test is pretty useless probably..):
    <j:if test="${os != 'Linux'}">
      <ant:fixcrlf srcdir="." includes="${abatchfile}" eol="dos"/>
    </j:if>

And of course you should add xmlns:ant="jelly:ant" to have the ant namespace available..

Don't know from the top of my head which target to hijack when using the dist target (this was using a completely custom made dist target)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> Thanks, Martin.  I stand corrected then and will shut up about this.
> To close this out, I guess we are agreeing that we have no standard
> for line endings and will make no attempt to make them consistent.  I
> did not know the Windows cvs client was also converting the files, so
> thought this was a "new" problem introduced by svn.  Sorry for the
> noise.

I was the one who initially raised this issue. The reason I raised it is
that most _users_ run Windows. And the default text editor on Windows is
Notepad which doesn't handle LF. Basically if I download a release and
oopen the release notes, or project xml then I want CRLF, otherwise I
have to close the file, find wordpad and reopen it.

Now I understand the argument that our users are developers and shoud
know how to change file associations, and so on. But we here are
probably at the higher end of Java/programming knowledge. I want us to
cater for users who are more Junior. Also, Notepad is very quick to
start and open a small file, which is why some of use (ie. me) choose to
leave the txt to notepad association.

This discussion however, seems to have yielded no real solution to this.
I suspect that what is actually happening is that more commons release
managers now use Unix than previously, thus the problem is more apparant.

Currently, I setup a custom ant script for each project I release, and
never use maven for building. That way I can fix crlf for the root level
text files in the zip and lf for the tar.

However, as this discussion didn't reach agreement, I shall have to keep
quiet on this subject in future release votes.

Stephen

Re: [all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Has everyone been following the bit on
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html?

--------------------------------------
"Committers will need to properly configure their svn client. One
particular issue is OS-specific line-endings for text files. When you
add a new text file, especially when applying patches from Bugzilla,
first ensure that the line-endings are appropriate for *your* system,
then do ...

svn add test.txt
svn propset svn:eol-style native test.txt

Your svn client can be configured to do that automatically for some
common file types. Add the list to your ~/.subversion/config
[http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt] file. However, you
should still pay attention to the messages from your svn client when
you do 'svn commit'. "
------------------------------

Just checking :)

Hen

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/3/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think it is feasible to patch the maven dist plugin or the
> hand-rolled ant scripts to inspect .svn/props for each file and then
> change line endings accordingly.
>
> I also verified that distros created on Windows are in fact shipping
> CRLF line endings on all files that have eol=native in their svn
> props.  A recent example is the 1.1 IO release.  To me, this is a
> problem, since it adds to the size of the distros and makes the
> contents of the distro dependent on the OS used to build it.

I really don't think this is an issue. It's been this way for _years_,
without any problems that I've been aware of. I see no reason to suddenly
declare it's an issue and go to all the lengths being discussed to "fix" it.
As for the size, given that the distributions are compressed, and text
compression algorithms are very good indeed, I seriously doubt that it's
going to make any significant difference.

I see three realistic options to fix this, none of which are ideal,
> listed in order of how I view them.  Other ideas - or statements that
> this is a non-issue - welcome.  I have already done the work for 2 and
> will submit the patch if that is the preferred solution.
>
> 1. Change svn props to get rid of "eol=native" and specify "eol=crlf"
> for .txt.  IIUC the docs, lf is the default, so this should make all
> sources default to lf.  It does force Windows users to correctly set
> line endings on patches, commits, etc.  This is essentially going back
> to the way things were in cvs.

-1

First off, as I pointed out elsewhere, this is *not* going back to the way
things were with CVS. We had exactly the same issue when we were using CVS,
and nobody seemed to want to "fix" it then. In fact, we've had this same
situation since Commons was born. The Windows CVS command line client
defaults to CR-LF on checkout, as does WinCVS (which also has a checkbox you
need to explicitly check if you want Unix line ends).

The more serious issue, though, is that this can end up causing incorrect
line number reporting in diffs, exceptions, and in other cases, which is
going to make our job as component developers more painful than it already
is.

2. Patch the maven dist plugin to put lf line endings on all of the
> file types listed as recommended to have "eol=native" on the apache
> svn pages and crlf on .txt files.  I would make both properties
> configurable in the plugin, with the default for the first being empty
> and the second ".txt"  The problem with this is getting all of the
> extents fixed in the lf case.
>
> 3. Move to centralized release builds, running all release builds from
> minotaur.  Would have to work through the issues here.

That would hurt the whole of Commons, IMO. It would force all of the Windows
developers to learn to do development - or at least building releases - in a
new environment, which will be more painful. This at a time where we really
need to make the release process as painless as possible, so that more
people are willing to take it on.

--
Martin Cooper

Phil

Re: [all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27/11/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > > I am working on a patch to the maven dist plugin that makes the crlf
> > > filter property configurable.   Arnaud pointed out in another thread
> > > that there should probably a similar filter applied to make sure "lf"
> > > line endings are used in the tar.gz distros.  My inclination is to
> > > apply this to *all* files in the tar.gz distros by default.  It occurs
> >
> > Won't this cause corruption of .jar, .class, .jpg, etc files?
>
> Doh! Good point.  Would need to exclude at least these.
> >
> > > to me now that because of the "eol=native" svn props, RMs who cut
> > > releases on Windows are likely making tars with crlf line endings
> > > (since svn will convert files to crlf on checkout). Note that this
> > > applies to ant as well as maven-built distros.
> >
> > And RMs who use Unix will be creating zips with LF line endings...
> >
> Yes, IIUC, that is the consequence of using "eol=native." Having the
> file contents of distros different depending on the OS used to cut the
> release does not seem like a good thing to me.  Could be I have

Agreed. But we are talking about different contents for the zip and
tar.gz releases.

> something wrong here. Maybe someone who has both unix and Windows
> boxes set up can test and see if the the Windows-built distros (from
> Windows checkouts) end up with CRLF everywhere (at least for files
> with "eol=native").
>
> > [Are there any who use Macs?]
> >
> > > I will make the unix filter configurable as well, but want feedback on
> > > what the default should be, as well as what our policy should be in
> > > commons on line endings in tar.gz as well as zip distros.
> >
> > Ideally the default would depend on the svn:eol-type.
> > i.e. if svn:eol-type=native, then convert the file for the appropriate
> > native format, otherwise leave alone.
> > Dunno whether this can be made to work or not, though.
>
> But this would still result (again, assuming I have it right) in
> different line endings in distros depending on what OS was used to cut
> the release - unless we all set up Windows boxes to cut the zip
> releases and *nix boxes for the tarballs ;-)

Hopefully not - I assumed that the maven/ant task would change the
line-endings as needed, so as to create an archive that was the same
as if it had been created on an OS with a different native setting.
That's why it needs to know what SVN has done.

> > It's possible that a particular file type may have different endings
> > for different files.
> > For example on JMeter, the old JMX files were CRLF on Windows, but the
> > new JMX files are LF on all OSes.
> >
> Is this specified in the svn eol props for these files?

Yes (or it should be).

> It now occurs to me that assuming my understanding of how "eol=native"
> is correct, we should be fixing crlf for non-txt files in zip distros

I assume you mean files with an extension that is not ".txt" here ...

> as well, since if these are cut using Windows, e.g. the java source
> files will have CRLF line endings.  So, in terms of properties, it
> seems we need
>
> maven.dist.lf.filter=**/*.java, **/*.txt, all other non-binary file
> specs, i.e. all files that could have eol=native
> maven.dist.crlf.filter=**/*.txt (plus whatever else we agree on)
>
> and have the plugin do the following:
>
> For tar.gz distributions, run fixcrlf with eol=lf and
> includes=${maven.dist.lf.filter}
>
> For zip distributions, run fixcrlf first with eol=lf and
> includes=${maven.dist.lf.filter} and then again with eol=crlf and
> includes=${maven.dist.crlf.filter}.

If one can use svn:eol-type, then this can all be automated, as the
eol-type will determine whether or not the line endings have been
changed by SVN.

> I guess another alternative would be to agree to cut all distros on
> unix, maybe even using minotaur to do the release builds (I know this
> would have some practical problems associated with it now).  Then all
> we would need is the first property, assuming we want lf line endings
> everywhere else (IIRC, in the cvs days, that was the standard).
>
> Sorry if I have misunderstood the way the svn client works or if
> others view this as a non-issue.  I just want to patch the plugin so
> that we can get consistent distros built using maven.

And Ant, ideally.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
<snip>

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27/11/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> > > [X] .txt
> > > [ ] .java
> > > [ ] .properties
> > > [ ] .xml
> > > [ ] .css
> >  > [ ] .mf
> >
> > My preference is for all ASCII files not in the src/java or src/text
> > folders to be converted. Note that I doubt [collections] or [io] do this
> > fully yet.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> I am working on a patch to the maven dist plugin that makes the crlf
> filter property configurable.   Arnaud pointed out in another thread
> that there should probably a similar filter applied to make sure "lf"
> line endings are used in the tar.gz distros.  My inclination is to
> apply this to *all* files in the tar.gz distros by default.  It occurs

Won't this cause corruption of .jar, .class, .jpg, etc files?

> to me now that because of the "eol=native" svn props, RMs who cut
> releases on Windows are likely making tars with crlf line endings
> (since svn will convert files to crlf on checkout). Note that this
> applies to ant as well as maven-built distros.

And RMs who use Unix will be creating zips with LF line endings...

[Are there any who use Macs?]

> I will make the unix filter configurable as well, but want feedback on
> what the default should be, as well as what our policy should be in
> commons on line endings in tar.gz as well as zip distros.

Ideally the default would depend on the svn:eol-type.
i.e. if svn:eol-type=native, then convert the file for the appropriate
native format, otherwise leave alone.
Dunno whether this can be made to work or not, though.

It's possible that a particular file type may have different endings
for different files.
For example on JMeter, the old JMX files were CRLF on Windows, but the
new JMX files are LF on all OSes.

This all assumes that tar.gz is for Unix and .zip for Windows users -
not unreasonable, but should probably be documented somewhere (perhaps
it is ?).

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I opened these issue to add a property to allow us to select the filter :
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPDIST-28

Isn't it useful to ensure that the LF line ending is used in Unix Archives ?

Arnaud

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
As someone who uses Windows on a daily basis, I've never had a
pproblem with the LF line endings and hence would only filter *.txt in
a binary distribution.

On 11/15/05, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It turns out that it is required to fix the crlf (EOL) thing when
> building distributions for windows distributions.
> A "windows distribution" is a distribution packed as zip file.
>
> Maven will add support to define a filter to setup the extension of the
> files to convert.
>
> Anyway I think we should find a standard how to setup this filter.
>

> The extension in question are:
>
> [ ] .txt
> [ ] .java
> [ ] .properties
> [ ] .xml
> [ ] .css
>
> .java, .properties, .xml, .css might be problematic as we might get
> diffs with the wrong line ending then - on the other hand for an
> developer its not needed as every IDE can handle LF only line endings
> and our source code format should define this (the LF ending) as required.
>
> So only .txt might be save as this is generally the release notes files
> and getting patches for it is very unlikely ;-)
>
> What do you think?
>
> My personal vote goes to .txt only.
>
> Thanks!
> Mario

Bernard Shaw

Re: [all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It turns out that it is required to fix the crlf (EOL) thing when
> building distributions for windows distributions.
> A "windows distribution" is a distribution packed as zip file.

Required by who and what is broken ?
And I don't agree that zips are windows distributions. I tend to download one distribution (eg zip or tar.gz, depending on what I click) and use that on linux & windows, instead of downloading it twice.
So I currently don't see a need to change line endings at all for distributions.

Mvgr,
Martin