Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Sergey Antonov <an...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/25 11:56:13 UTC

Re: [DISCUSSION] Single point in API for changing cluster state.

Alexei Scherbakov,

> After activation (in read-only mode or not) rebalancing is possible to
begin and the grid will not be free of updates until it's finished. So the
grid will not be in truly read-only mode even if cache updates are
prohibited. Probably it would be enough just wait until rebalancing is
finished before releasing future.
I'm afraid, we can't guarantee truly read-only mode due to TTL on cache
entries

> I do not understand the necessity of handling states comparison on
transition. Why not just return current(previous) state ? Could you give
more detailed explanation for this ?
User could face the unexpected behaviour, If we always return current state
(target state of transition) or previous state (initial state of
transition). For example, transition from INACTIVE to ACTIVE and we return
current state. User gets cluster state (ACTIVE) and tries to get cache, but
activation has not been completed yet. User will get exception, but cluster
state returns ACTIVE value. So, we can't always return current state.
Another example: transition from ACTIVE to READ_ONLY and we return previous
state. User gets cluster state (ACTIVE) and tries to update value in cache.
User could get ClusterReadOnlyModeException in this case.
So we should return state with lower functionality from previous and
current states for avoiding unexpected behaviour.

чт, 31 окт. 2019 г. в 18:24, Alexei Scherbakov <alexey.scherbakoff@gmail.com

--
BR, Sergey Antonov

Re: [DISCUSSION] Single point in API for changing cluster state.

Posted by Sergey Antonov <an...@gmail.com>.
Igniters, ticket[1] in patch available state.

Anybody want to review changes?

--
BR, Sergey Antonov