Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/13 00:41:29 UTC

TLP... :)

A fair while back, the plan was for Slide to move to TLP. Where is
that nowadays? What reasons are there for it being bad to go ahead and
push on with that?

Hen

Re: TLP... :)

Posted by Stéphane Croisier <sc...@jahia.com>.
Hello,

If you make some cross-links between other Apache
DAV initatives (aka Jackrabbit), it seems they
now plan to make a separate WebDAV server on top
of the JCR170 RI (cf forward of the yesterday
thread). Does it not look like the basis for a
new Slide 3.0 or for a new "generic" WebDAV
Apache TLP project which would try to gather all
the DAV efforts and initatives toghether rather
than splitting the (scarce and sporadic) existing DAV ressources?

My 2 cts.
Stéphane

- -- --- -----=[ scroisier2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
www.jahia.org : The Java Unified Web Platform

Re: TLP... :)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Effectively you're saying "we're too inactive to be a TLP". Which is
what a lot of us are saying, and makes sense. As the more active
subprojects have gone TLP so Jakarta has evolved this way.

There's an unspoken assumption that it's better to have low activity
as a Jakarta subproject than it is as a TLP, the Jakarta community as
a whole helps make up for things. This is where we're now wrong I
think, the Jakarta community is increasingly a disjoint set of
subgroups, which again makes sense as the active subprojects contained
a lot of the crossover activity. As we're increasingly disjoint, we're
not able to make up for things and the idea of being in Jakarta
actually becomes a disadvantage not an advantage because things are
more hidden.

An obvious solution is to create more of a Jakarta community, which I
think Commons can provide, but Slide (and some others) don't fit with
this.

So I think TLP for Slide makes sense. Activity is an important
question to get somewhat solved on the way, someone needs to be the
chair (which isn't a huge job for a tight and focused TLP), but other
than that Slide could be doing much the same it is doing now as a TLP
and the increased visibility might help get more interest.

SVN restructuring is definitely perpendicular to a TLP move, unless
you think you'll be creating a subcomponent that doesn't make sense in
a Slide TLP and ought to go elsewhere. Even then it's not a biggy, we
can take care of it later.

Hen

AW: TLP... :)

Posted by Daniel Florey <da...@web.de>.