Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/17 07:12:05 UTC

Spaces are ignored when reading a PDF file

Hello ,

I have a PDF file created using Latex. I am trying to read and print all letters in that file using PDFBox, but when doing this all spaces in that file are ignored. Here is the code I am using:
PDPage page = (PDPage)allPages.get( 0 );
PDStream contents = page.getContents();
if ( contents != null ) {
    PDFTextStripperProcessor pdfTextStripperProcessor = new PDFTextStripperProcessor();
    pdfTextStripperProcessor.processStream( page, page.findResources(), contents.getStream() );
}

public class PDFTextStripperProcessor extends PDFTextStripper {
    @Override
    public void processTextPosition( TextPosition text )  {
        System.out.println( text.getCharacter() );
    }
}

And you can check a one page file sample here to test it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10111483/downloads/pdfbox/pdf_latex_spaces_ignored.pdf

What is the cause of this issue please?

Best regards ,
Hesham

Re: Spaces are ignored when reading a PDF file

Posted by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com>.
Clovis,

Thanks a lot :)

I will have to follow this solution if there is no alternative. The problem
is that if I am extracting text of 500 or 600 pages PDF, that will consume
much additional memory and time. In addition I guess it's only a special
case for latex books only.

Best regards ,
Hesham

Included message :

just an idea from whom is not fluent in pdfbox nor PDF.
if you just want to know there is a space in between the letters and not
the amount of spaces, you can use your code to get character details and
then use extractText to get the words.

Posted by clovis <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com>.
John ,

I have checked the PrintTextLocations.java example. I have tested using this code for the "With due" term in my book sample, using this code:
System.out.println( "String[" + text.getCharacter() + ": " + text.getXDirAdj() + "," +
                                text.getYDirAdj() + " fs=" + text.getFontSize() + " xscale=" +
                                text.getXScale() + " height=" + text.getHeightDir() + " space=" +
                                text.getWidthOfSpace() + " width=" + text.getWidthDirAdj() + "]" );
And here are the results:
String[W: 102.88399,169.591 fs=11.9552 xscale=11.9552 height=7.328538 space=2.9888 width=11.9552]
String[i: 114.18165,169.591 fs=11.9552 xscale=11.9552 height=7.328538 space=2.9888 width=3.4789658]
String[t: 117.660614,169.591 fs=11.9552 xscale=11.9552 height=7.328538 space=2.9888 width=3.8973923]
String[h: 121.55801,169.591 fs=11.9552 xscale=11.9552 height=7.328538 space=2.9888 width=6.957924]
String[d: 133.09477,169.591 fs=11.9552 xscale=11.9552 height=7.328538 space=2.9888 width=7.3046265]
String[u: 140.3994,169.591 fs=11.9552 xscale=11.9552 height=7.328538 space=2.9888 width=7.2089844]
String[e: 147.60838,169.591 fs=11.9552 xscale=11.9552 height=7.328538 space=2.9888 width=5.7265472]

So which method do you mean? .. The getXDirAdj() ?

Best regards ,
Hesham

Included message :

I’m rather confused by this thread, inferring spaces is one of the the main features of PDFTextStripper. I’m not sure why anyone is suggesting to process the text manually - there’s no need to do that. We do that already!

Looking at the original code the problem is right here:

> public class PDFTextStripperProcessor extends PDFTextStripper {
>    @Override
>    public void processTextPosition( TextPosition text )  {
>        System.out.println( text.getCharacter() );
>    }
> }

The processTextPosition method is used to pass an unprocessed TextPosition *in* to PDFTextStripper, but this override prevents that from happening, and is just printing the unprocessed token before PDFTextStripper has had a chance to do its job, such as inferring the missing spaces.

You should follow our PrintTextLocations.java example which shows you how to get the processed TextPositions from PDFTextStripper. It’s really easy to do.

— John

Re: NullPointerException in multithreading

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Sorry, I meant that the line

ICC_Profile profile = ICC_Profile.getInstance(input);

be enclosed by the "synchronized".

Tilman

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hello 风云天空,

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
This subject of this thread is "Spaces are ignored when reading a PDF file. Please post new questions to a new thread.

— John

回复: Spaces are ignored when reading a PDF file

Posted by 风云天空 <10...@qq.com>.
who can help me
[...]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Posted by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Posted by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 17.03.2016 um 11:20 schrieb Hesham G.:

> So to detect the space between the 2 words "With" & "due" should I
> make subtraction calculations between X of the last letter(h) and the
> X of the first letter (d) and if the number is large than normal then
> this is a space? I think this way might be risky in the detection, or
> what?

What you're doing is to reinvent the PDFTextStripper code, which has
some strategies to decide where there are spaces. That's not a bad idea
(there are some weaknesses), however it is indeed... "tricky".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjEdxO91RWQ&feature=youtu.be&t=3m33s

Re: Spaces are ignored when reading a PDF file

Posted by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Frank van der Hulst <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hesham G." <he...@gmail.com>.
Tilman,

I am using this code to extract the text from the pdf because I need font
information about the extracted characters like determining the font name
used. Using the normal extraction code will not work in my case.

Best regards ,
Hesham

Included message :

Am 17.03.2016 um 07:12 schrieb Hesham G.:
> Hello ,
>
> I have a PDF file created using Latex. I am trying to read and print all
> letters in that file using PDFBox, but when doing this all spaces in that
> file are ignored.

Here's what I get with ExtractText (your code is.... unusual), this
looks excellent to me:

article titles c©by Michael O’Kane are not part of the law mu7ami.com
Article [220] Right to Regulate
With due regard to Article (219), the competent authority has the right
of monitoring the companies with regard to application of the provisions
set forth in the law and the company’s articles of association and bylaw
including the authority to inspect the company and check its account and
ask for data from the board of directors or the company managers through
a representative or more of its personnel or experts it chooses for this
pur-
pose.
Article [221] Access to Records
All the company officials shall acquaint the Ministry representatives and
the Authority, fi the company is listed in the financial market or
seeking to
be listed, with regard to the works stated in Article (220), all that
they ask
of company books and records and documents and provide them with all
related information or clarification.
94 version 0.2 provided by mu7ami.com

Re: Spaces are ignored when reading a PDF file

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.