Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/01 11:05:36 UTC

Re: Aries and Spring Co-Existance in Karaf

Let's not confuse blueprint with spring. Blueprint is a declarative way to
work with OSGi services and Spring is a framework for creating applications.
I don't think that Aries has the same focus with Spring but with SpringDM.

You can always use both, if you have to go with Spring.

If I had to use Spring, I would use it only where its necessary and for
managing services etc I would use Aries.
Example:
In Cellar 90% of the modules use Aries, but there is a single module that
uses Spring/SpringDM. We don't have any problem with that.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
*

Re: Aries and Spring Co-Existance in Karaf

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:58 AM, mikevan wrote:

> David,
>

> When I read the early-release of the OSGi Service Platform Spec that contained the Subsystem Specification, I gotta admin, I got pretty excited.
>

> I like the ability to group a set of bundles into a subsystem , and then to control the visibility of packages both within the subsystem and external to the subsystem. When we talk about deploying a Karaf-managed application (a set of subsystems and the core karaf bundles) into a virtual machine, the ability to pick and choose the specific subsystems to deploy will make things like thread-management and cpu utilization easier.
>

> While the karaf features provisioning mechanism provides a grouping and deployment mechanism, there is no way to define the visibility of packages outside of a feature. Either a package is available to everyone, or it is available to no-one. A subsystem provisioning mechanism that allows for this control of visibility will in all likelihood allow us to solve a number of problems that karaf users are currently faced with.

That seems likely.  What I'm slightly uncomfortable with in (my understanding of) the subsystem spec is that it ties a "region"  (set of bundles with restricted visibility to other regions) to a subsystem (either feature, composite, or application)  which has fairly fixed content.  I'm afraid this is going to be too restrictive and that most people may want to set up a few regions with specified visibility to other regions and then start deploying sets of bundles (karaf features) into specific regions.  This seems to me like a more flexible point of view.  Anyway this is what I'm implementing and maybe we can see if people like it.  This will also give people a chance to experiment with isolation before the spec is out.

> When thinking this through, I wonder if provisioning should be handled by Felix instead of Karaf?  Felix is a service platform, and will need to implement its own provisioning capability at some point.  Does it make sense to continue keeping it in karaf?  I know this is thinking about something that may not take place for a while (maybe 6 months to a  year), but I do think we should start looking into it.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by provisioning.  Aries is developing the subsystem RI on top of the eclipse regions jar.  My understanding of the subsystem spec is that a subsystem has an application manifest that lists the bundles you are sure you want in the subsystem, and then a deployment manifest is generated that also includes all the other bundles needed to make it work.  I think this uses OBR (possibly a newer spec version than current felix obr implementation, I'm not sure).  Then you deploy the subsystem from the deployment manifest, and it tells you where the bundles to install are.

So from this point of view I'm not sure what parts of this are provisioning and how provisioning could be part of felix when the subsystems stuff is in aries.

I'm always confused by what provisioning is.... maybe this time I'll find out :-)

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi all,

we can have different kind of issue:

- Gemini Blueprint and Aries blueprint share the same blueprint
namespace, that's why you can deploy both in the same container (or you
can have side effect)
- it's quite the same between JPA, JTA, etc as Gemini and Aries provide
OSGi services (without properties) to the same interface (for instance
the JPA entity manager). However, it could world with some minor enhancement
- we don't have issue between Spring DM and Aries because they don't use
the same namespace

My 0.02$

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Aries and Spring Co-Existance in Karaf

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.

Raman,

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@gmail.com>.
My point wasn't the technology across bundles -- rather, I'm talking
about interop with the DI framework used *within* a bundle.

For example, I may want to use Guice for DI within my bundle, but use
Blueprint to expose/consume OSGi services. As it stands, developers
have to learn each DI framework's own mechanisms for
exposing/consuming services, which means additional complexity,
potential compatibility issues (e.g. Spring proxies), and differing
maturity of implementation (for example, if my DI framework of choice
is Guice, I'm stuck with an immature Peaberry micro-services
implementation).

--
Raman Gupta
VIVO Systems

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.

Raman,

Thanks. But, honestly, that still doesn't answer the question. Why can't Gemini work in Karaf? Does it have code that is tied directly to another container (Virgo Kernel)?  Or, is the issue that nobody has written a provisioning document for Gemini to work in Karaf?  I believe that latter is the answer, not the former.

I understand the motivations for not using Spring and using Aries instead. However, I have yet to hear a good technical argument against using Karaf/Gemini.  Please understand, I'm not trying to promote springsource or any consulting company. Rather, I'm trying to make sure that Karaf doesn't cut out a large group of users simply because of the notion that "spring bad, aries good".  I've worked with Virgo kernel, and Karaf is superior to it.  The only reason for intelligent folks to choose Virgo Kernel over Karaf is the argument that Karaf doesn't play well with Spring. I find this notion to be, at best, dubious.

Honestly, the Aries vs SpringDM (now Gemini) discussion sounds very similar to the JPA vs Hibernate discussion from last year.  In that discussion, Hibernate was widely derided by the Karaf community with numerous folks stating that Hibernate simply couldn't work in Karaf. However, after a couple of days I was able to get Hibernate working just fine in Karaf. Before I make a decision about Aries or SpringDM (Gemini), I'd like to hear about folks' actual experiences instead of thier biases.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
Gotcha, that still would be an effect of the authors of Spring DM2 having the legacy schemas,
I don;t really personally see why aries should support spring syntax if the standards agreed on
one schema.

Just my 0.2 though.

/je

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raman Gupta <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
Sure,

They in the end of the day are just beans?
I.e the invocation of them or if say the spring-dm parser merges them if you had two spring context
would be technical invocation details.

All that really happens is that when you load a bundle, an extender looks for

OSGI-INF/blueprint/**.xml
or
META-INF/spring/**.xml

For each file found, parse and start instantiating stuff inside of a "context",
a context is just an object.

/je

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.

Johan,