Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by sw...@quandatics.com on 2021/10/25 01:21:05 UTC

Encrypt or Mask the password

Hi,

May I know if there is a way to encrypt or mask the password specified in
nutch-site.xml?

Your sincerely,

Shi Wei

Re: Encrypt or Mask the password

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Shi Wei,

I'm not aware of any work-arounds.

Best,
Sebastian

Posted by sw...@quandatics.com.
Hi Sebastian,

In case you have missed out the previous email, is there any possible workaround to integrate Nutch with kerberized Solr cloud?  e.g. via the HTTP Authentication Scheme

Your sincerely,
Shi Wei

for the nutch-site.xml it's possible to use Java properties and/or environment variables, see section "Variable expansion" in

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.3.1/api/org/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration.html

In case you're asking about index-writers.xml - variable expansion (likely) does not work.
Note: I didn't try it. But it's a scheme specific to Nutch and not a Hadoop configuration file and I cannot remember that any expansion mechanism is implemented when the index-writers.xml is read.

Anyway, the better way would be to rely primarily on a credential provider, see

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/CredentialProviderAPI.html

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/api/org/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration.html#getPassword-java.lang.String-

If you have time, please open a Jira issue (or multiple ones) to get a more safe way to hold credentials implemented.

Thanks,
Sebastian

Am Mo., 25. Okt. 2021 um 03:21 Uhr schrieb <sw...@quandatics.com>:

> Hi,
>

> May I know if there is a way to encrypt or mask the password specified
> in nutch-site.xml?
>

> Your sincerely,
>
> Shi Wei

RE: Encrypt or Mask the password

Posted by sw...@quandatics.com.
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your suggestions.

We have tried the variable expansion method on the index-writers.xml, it doesn’t work. Could you advise if there are any alternative ways to encrypt the password in the index-writers.xml file?

Best Regards,

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Shi Wei,