Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com> on 2002/12/22 05:02:43 UTC

[users@httpd] dso question

When compiling apache, for every module I use I always make them shared. For
example, --enable-mod_ssl=shared.

Is there a benefit or any difference if I don't specify shared?

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: [users@httpd] apache ldap authentication

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Rich, that's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I
just wasn't sure if I could get that information. I need the username
because the page is dynamic based on the user.

Thanks again,
Aaron

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] apache ldap authentication

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
Sam,

It was a pain for me.. hopefully your experience will be better. I'm using
solaris 8 also.

After you installed the Sun LDAP libraries, did you make CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
point to the lib and include directories where ldap is installed? Set those
and try it again. I used openldap for my install.

-Aaron

Posted by Sam K Tan <sa...@sun.com>.
Aaron,

Re: [users@httpd] dso question

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Aaron Sturm wrote:

> When compiling apache, for every module I use I always make them shared. For
> example, --enable-mod_ssl=shared.
>
> Is there a benefit or any difference if I don't specify shared?

Apache will start up slightly faster if you have modules built static
rather than shared. Very slightly. There is no difference while running.
So this is largely a question of preference and convenience. If you
frequently rebuild individual modules, then making them shared makes
things a little easier. If you want to have a lot of modules on hand,
but enable or disable them at will, then shared makes this easier too.

Some modules don't play nice as DSOs. For example, I've been told at
various times that mod_perl, mod_php, and mod_gzip should be built
static rather than shared, and this is what ApacheToolbox does when you
use it to build for you. But I don't really have any details on that.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New