Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Doug Collinge <dc...@abyssnet.com> on 2000/08/25 20:20:01 UTC

Want to switch; stuck on virtual hosts

I have an apache service with several name-based virtual websites, all
using JServ and GNUJSP.  Works fine but I want taglibs and other
features of Tomcat so I'm trying to switch a couple of these websites to
Tomcat 3.2.

I had no trouble getting Tomcat to work out-of-the-box but I can't get
it to serve the virtual hosts. The documentation says to serve virtual
hosts by putting up a separate JVM and Tomcat instance for each virtual
host.  This is obviously ridiculous and I won't be doing that.

So my question is, why?  Why can't I aim all my virtual hosts at the
same Tomcat and have Tomcat compile the various JSPs into servlets in
different directories?  I understand that they'll all have the same
classpath and security settings and so on but that's ok with me for now.

Does anyone have any configs or advice?

Re: Want to switch; stuck on virtual hosts

Posted by Andrew Stubbs <an...@stusoft.com>.
Yet again the instructions are buried deep in a document I cannot even
remember. All you need to do is add a line similar to the following in your
tomcat sever.xml and restart:

        <Host name="www.somehost.com" >
           <Context path="" docBase="/path/to/virtuals hosts/jsp etc" />
        </Host>

Restart and you are in business - this presumes that the you also setup
apache correclty to pass the *.jsp's to Tomcat and that virtual hosting
itself within apache is setup correctly

Docbase can be either an absolute path or relative to
/jakarta_home/webapps/ROOT/...

Hope this helps

Andrew

mod_rewrite vs. mod_jk

Posted by Doug Collinge <dc...@abyssnet.com>.
Thanks for the help with the apache virtual host problem - got that
working fine.  Next problem:

In the old JServ days I used a mod_rewrite rule to remap *.html into
something else for a home-baked template system.  Doesn't seem to work
with mod_jk.  I researched this issue in the archives and there seems to
be a general consensus that it can be made to work with mod_jserv as
long as mod_rewrite follows mod_jserv in the list of modules.  Ok, how
about mod_jk?  Doesn't work for me no matter which side of mod_rewrite
mod_jk falls on.

Should I expect mod_jk to work?  How fully-baked is mod_jk anyway?
Should I retreat to mod_jserv?

Re: Want to switch; stuck on virtual hosts

Posted by Réseune <in...@reseune.fr>.
yes. my internet connection works fine but, i don't access to this url. i
have a failure to access, not to the page, but to the site. why?? what's
wrong?

    Cordialement.

Frédéric Mascaro
mascaro@reseune.fr