Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2002/12/12 20:01:59 UTC

Re: Action chaining

Eddie Bush wrote:
> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>> There is no question that there are issues with forwarding with form
>> population and such, and the known issue with multipart data (which is
>> an isolated use-case anyway).
>

> The multipart issues exists regardless of whether you are chaining or
> not - no?  I was of the impression that was the case.  The single thing
> I see (and it's entirely possible I'm being short-sighted) is that your
> form would be repopulated (which could be very evil to track down if you
> hadn't already thought through the possibility of it happening).
> Redirecting avoids this issue altogether by causing another request to
> be created.

We're talking a little non-sequitor here.  Action chaining in no way is
tied to whether I'm doing redirects or server-side forwards - either are
possible with them.

But you are absolutely correct about these issues.  I've not encountered
them except with the multipart issue in a prior project.  I don't modify
a form bean in these actions.  The only actions that modify a form bean
in our system are the "setup" actions that populate a form prior to
forwarding to the JSP, and those would always be at the end of a chain.

Just to clarify - I'm not chaining tons of stuff together, just for
situations like I've mentioned.  Generally speaking I'm doing "text
book" Struts development, but I find that action chaining is very handy
in certain situations, and I'm thankful that Struts actually allows it
rather than forbid it altogether somehow.

Its really just food for thought for the next architecture as well as to
gather ideas from others on how they implement similar needs.

	Erik