Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Be...@blum.com on 2005/11/29 06:03:09 UTC

Shared drive vs Subversion server

Hello,

we were just starting to use subversion in our shop, and we are
experiencing the following problems:
We aren't using any server process, we just have got our repositories on a

shared network drive. Works fine as long as we are in the same domain.
Another domain is connected to this domain using vpn. First idea was to
use the same approach and map the network drive to the other guys, but it
is dead slow (~20 minutes for a Checkout of 18 MB).
Do you expect the performance to be any better if we were using a
dedicated server, are there any documents / stats to back this up ?

The latency is very bad, especially it seems that Subversion is copying
over all the files one by one, and this is very much overhead over the
shared drive.
It would be much faster if we were just copying them all in one, but I
guess
this is no possibility ?

Thanks in advance,
Bernhard

Re: Shared drive vs Subversion server

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 29, 2005, at 07:03, Bernhard.Rusch@blum.com wrote:

> we were just starting to use subversion in our shop, and we are
> experiencing the following problems:
> We aren't using any server process, we just have got our
> repositories on a
>
> shared network drive. Works fine as long as we are in the same domain.
> Another domain is connected to this domain using vpn. First idea
> was to
> use the same approach and map the network drive to the other guys,
> but it
> is dead slow (~20 minutes for a Checkout of 18 MB).
> Do you expect the performance to be any better if we were using a
> dedicated server, are there any documents / stats to back this up ?
>
> The latency is very bad, especially it seems that Subversion is
> copying
> over all the files one by one, and this is very much overhead over the
> shared drive.
> It would be much faster if we were just copying them all in one, but I
> guess this is no possibility ?

I think you'll be better off if you use a proper Subversion server,
be it svnserve, apache2, or svn+ssh. If you don't need a secure
connection, which you might not in an intranet situation, then I've
heard that svnserve is the fastest.