Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2011/10/26 14:56:02 UTC

User vs. Item performance

I seem to recall past discussions on where one hits the bottleneck w/ user based recommendation approaches in Mahout, but I can't seem to locate it anymore.   Anyone know off hand?  Where do user based approaches hit their limits, more or less?

Thanks,
Grant

Re: User vs. Item performance

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Item based recommendations can also use more expensive off-line computations
which can make recommendations more accurate.  SVD based methods in
particular can be very useful especially which smaller data sets.

Re: User vs. Item performance

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: User vs. Item performance

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.