Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2006/03/25 16:05:19 UTC

Re: Looking for good test suite to test Grant & Revoke functionality ...

On 3/24/06, Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@sourcery.org> wrote:

> As I am wrapping up Grant & Revoke functionality being tracked under
> DERBY-464 (except for views, triggers and constraints part), I am looking
> for good way to test new functionality. While I have added two new tests,
> grantRevokeDDL.sql and grantRevoke.java, I am looking to expand test
> coverage to try some real schemas and usages. Some ideas are:
>
>    1. Try converting existings tests to new SQL authorization mode. *nist
>    *suite seems like a good candidate. It already enables
>    authentication and has authorization statements under comments. I will have
>    to change nist suite to grant required object privileges and adjust test
>    suite to work-around extra restrictions current implementation has. I have
>    already tried running nist under SQL authorization and initial run caused
>    about* 40* test failures out of 126 tests. After changing tests a
>    little, I have brought down failures to about 20 tests. I will need to
>    further change tests to add grant statements to get the test to pass.
>
> Just note, any changes to the nist suite need to be recorded. See/in
<trunk>/java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/nist/readme.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/06, Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@sourcery.org> wrote:

> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>
>  Just note, any changes to the nist suite need to be recorded. See/in
> <trunk>/java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/nist/readme.
>

> Thanks for this pointer... Do you know any more history behind Derby nist
> suite? Specifically I am interested in knowing if original tests had any
> GRANT statements? If so, some one must have remove them, since
> Cloudscape/Derby 10.1 didn't support GRANT statement. The list of changes
> recorded above don't seem to indicate any removal of GRANT statements
> earlier.
>
> I could try downloading original nist tests again...
>

> Satheesh
>

> >    1. Import a suitable test in open source world with compatible
> >    license. Any ideas here?
> >    2. Write one from scratch. Might take reasonable amount of time.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions,
> >

> > Satheesh

Hi Satheesh,

When I contributed the nist suite - which was already modified at Cloudscape
before I first saw it - I did download the whole nist package to verify the
changes and ensure they were properly documented...I poked around on my
computer and must have since thrown the original stuff away. I think I would
have noticed removal of grant/revoke, but I am not certain...

Myrna