Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Josh <ik...@fofavengers.com> on 2004/01/08 04:36:20 UTC

[users@httpd] 'Install successful' screen

I just installed Apache (1.3.29) on my Slackware box in
/usr/local/apache_1.3.29

I configured everything correctly (I think), and when I point my browser to my
IP, I get the 'Installation was successful' screen. Okay, good.

The DocumentRoot is set to the default (/usr/local/apache_1.3.29/htdocs)

So I enter that directory and delete the files already there. I put my index
page there, restart Apache, and point my browser to the IP. Yet I still get
the 'Installation was successful' screen.

I've cleared my browser cache, and had other people try to access the page,
but it remains the same. I've checked my entire system, and that .html file
is nowhere. There is no other .html file other than my index file.

So what'd I do?

Re: [users@httpd] 'Install successful' screen

Posted by APACHE HTTP <ap...@basilicanet.com>.
Try restarting your computer.

Everything seems to be well, I could be wrong but when I get with that kind
of problems (crazies), I restart my computer and sometimes it works.

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.
Josh wrote:

>I just installed Apache (1.3.29) on my Slackware box in
>/usr/local/apache_1.3.29

Are you sure you are running the version you just installed? Apache is
usally included in the Slackware package. Check in the /etc directory
that you don't have the 'apache' directory. Or to check
http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv to see your apache settings.

Best

Bao

Posted by Ben Yau <by...@cardcommerce.com>.

> I configured everything correctly (I think), and when I point my
> browser to my
> IP, I get the 'Installation was successful' screen. Okay, good.
>
> The DocumentRoot is set to the default (/usr/local/apache_1.3.29/htdocs)
>
> So I enter that directory and delete the files already there. I
> put my index
> page there, restart Apache, and point my browser to the IP. Yet I
> still get
> the 'Installation was successful' screen.
>
> I've cleared my browser cache, and had other people try to access
> the page,
> but it remains the same. I've checked my entire system, and that
> .html file
> is nowhere. There is no other .html file other than my index file.

Make sure that the apache that you are starting/running is the same apache
that you just installed.  What is the exact command you are using to
start/stop your server?
Also do ps and grep for "apache" to check as well.  One more test to make
sure you are going to the correct direcotry is to create a "helloworld.html"
file in the docroot, then try to load it.  if it says document not found,
then you know that the apache you are running is not the one you think
you're running (or else the DocumentRoot is not configured correctly)

Ben