Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Sean Hower <ho...@freehomepage.com> on 2005/07/06 23:40:12 UTC

easy wincvs updates

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I thought I'd start here.

We're using WinCVS and I've got my Forrest site checked in. Now, when I update and generate, Forrest is overwriting all existing files. So, if I make a change to one file and regenerate, I have to check in all files. This, of course, is no fun and I want a better way to handle update checkins.

The simple way to avoiding this is obvious, just copy the changed files only into CVS. But I'm wondering if there is a more automated way to handle this. Does anyone else use CVS with Forrest and how have you set up your environment for version control? Does Forrest have a setting to only generate those source files that have changed?

I'm pretty new to both CVS and Apache so if there is an obvious answer that I've missed, sorry.

Thanks in advance.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Re: easy wincvs updates

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Sean Hower wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I thought I'd start here.
> >
> > We're using WinCVS and I've got my Forrest site checked in. Now, when I update and generate, Forrest is overwriting all existing files. So, if I make a change to one file and regenerate, I have to check in all files. This, of course, is no fun and I want a better way to handle update checkins.
> >

> Hmm, you are using cvs for your cooperate site, right? I ask because
> forrest is using SVN (which *not* the same)! I am not using wincvs so I
> do not know whether is possible for SVN as well but I imagine (the name
> winCVS) that no.
>
> The automate way would be done by the forrestbot that Ross mentioned in
> his other post.

I almost sent a similar reply to you Thorsten. Then i re-read
Sean's mail. I think that he is talking about the "generated"
files. Just like we store the generated website for the Forrest
in the separate repository .../forrest/site/

Sean, when you do 'forrest', does it generate the files directly into
your cvs working copy, rather than generating into the build/site/
directory then copying the files over? Or perhaps you have build/site/
actually checked into CVS?

If so, try doing 'cvs update' after forrest has finished. That should
correct the CVS timestamps so that it does not think that the files
have changed.

SVN is smart enough to know that the files haven't changed
even though the file timestamp is newer.

-David

Re: easy wincvs updates

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 14:40 -0700, Sean Hower wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I thought I'd start here.
>
> We're using WinCVS and I've got my Forrest site checked in. Now, when I update and generate, Forrest is overwriting all existing files. So, if I make a change to one file and regenerate, I have to check in all files. This, of course, is no fun and I want a better way to handle update checkins.

Hmm, you are using cvs for your cooperate site, right? I ask because
forrest is using SVN (which *not* the same)! I am not using wincvs so I
do not know whether is possible for SVN as well but I imagine (the name
winCVS) that no.

The automate way would be done by the forrestbot that Ross mentioned in
his other post.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: easy wincvs updates

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Sean Hower wrote:
> The simple way to avoiding this is obvious, just copy the changed files only into CVS. But I'm wondering if there is a more automated way to handle this. Does anyone else use CVS with Forrest and how have you set up your environment for version control? Does Forrest have a setting to only generate those source files that have changed?

http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbot.html

http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbot-web-interface.html

Ross