Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de> on 2003/10/24 01:34:50 UTC

Scripting in Java ?

Greetings,

I am looking for a scripting framework in Java so that users can write little
programlets inside a java application. I looked briefly into BSF but it has had
no releases for over a year and seems rather dead. Anoyne have any ideas?

Ideally the scripting language would be well suited to parsing and manipulating
text.

-- Robert

Re: Scripting in Java ?

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I think its important to point out that BSF is really a "Generic
Framework" for plugging in other scripting engines (analogous to how
JAXP is to SAX/DOM or JNDI is to LDAP). As such, there wouldn't be a
tremendous amount of activity to improve upon it because its primarily a
set of Front end API's with what amount to Service Providers for each
scripting engine. Not much needs to go into supporting it because all
the development activity is actually going into the underlying
implementations provided by various vendors.

So with this in mind you can actually plug jython, rhino, etc into it
and use it as a generic api for your java development. It allows you to
explore different scripting engines to meet your needs without actually
having to rewrite the Java code that integrates your Java program with
the scripting environment.

Best overview I've seen to date:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2000/jw-03-beans.html

I think you'll also find BSF hidden inside a number of major projects
out there:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v40/ae/infocenter/was/040205.html
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensions.html#supported-lang
http://struts.sourceforge.net/struts-bsf/

Must have done something right, if this is the case.

Its important to also understand Jython is the next generation of
JPython or supersedes it. In other words the JPython developers moved
over to Jython.

-Mark Diggory

Mark Mascolino wrote:
> You might consider Jython ( http://www.jython.org/ ) which also has an
> interactive console plugin for jEdit.
>
> Mark Mascolino
> http://people.etango.com/~markm/

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Scripting in Java ?

Posted by Mark Mascolino <ma...@etango.com>.

Re: Scripting in Java ?

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.

RE: Scripting in Java ?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
BSF is what you want for scripting.  Did you ask on
bsf-dev@jakarta.apache.org?

See also: http://www.judoscript.com/articles/jsr223.html
          http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223

	--- Noel