Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Shiva Kumar H R <sh...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/16 13:30:50 UTC

Re: Using XDoclet to generate openejb-jar.xml

Welcome Jon :-)
This is very much needed.

Following discussions will tell you about some of the similar work happening
around:
* http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg39672.html
* http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg46831.html
* http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg49216.html

One concern as mentioned in
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg37264.html is whether
such annotations should be based on XDoclet or JSR-175? With EJB 3.0 having
JSR-175 annotations, it might be more intuitive for developers to have
OpenEJB/Geronimo specific annotations also to be based on JSR-175. Request
you to give a thought on these.

Comments welcome.

- Shiva

Posted by Shiva Kumar H R <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jon,
Please see comments inline.

On 8/21/07, Jonathan Gallimore <jg...@wav2.com> wrote:

>  Hi Shiva,
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those discussions, I hadn't
> seen them on previous searches. The work I've currently done is an XDoclet
> plugin, and therefore is using XDoclet style annotations at the moment.

More is always better ;) . We probably can have both XDoclet & JSR175
annotations and allow users to choose whatever suits their needs best.

I haven't personally done much with EJB3, and hence haven't really had much
> need to use the new JSR-175 annotations, but I certainly think its right to
> consider providing a solution using those as well. I'm quite happy to work
> on something to use JSR-175 annotations too -

Thanks. That's very much needed.

I'm not sure how much overlap it'll have with what I've already done, but I
> think it might have some overlap with the work you've already done with the
> plan generation wizard.

Please feel free to ask for help.

Currently I only have one Geronimo specific annotation in my XDoclet plugin,
> and I'll need a few more, but largely I've used the standard EJB
> annotations. Presumably the same would apply using JSR-175 annotations, but
> providing Geronimo specific annotations might mean that apps might break on
> other app servers (or could developers get away with including a small jar
> file with the Geronimo annotations in their ear files)?

I too have the same concerns. Don't know much about implementation of
annotations. May be others (Tim et al) can comment on this.

One other thing - I've logged this as a JIRA issue - is this necessary /
> should it be assigned to me, or anything like that?

Would be good to have a JIRA to track progress. Please assign it to yourself
until you feel you have some code that can go into svn at which time you ask
a committer to assign to themselves and commit the code.

Regards

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jg...@wav2.com>.
Hi Shiva,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those discussions, I hadn't
seen them on previous searches. The work I've currently done is an
XDoclet plugin, and therefore is using XDoclet style annotations at the
moment.

I haven't personally done much with EJB3, and hence haven't really had
much need to use the new JSR-175 annotations, but I certainly think its
right to consider providing a solution using those as well. I'm quite
happy to work on something to use JSR-175 annotations too - I'm not sure

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jg...@wav2.com>.
Hi Shiva,