Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim O'Dowd <to...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/08 22:57:43 UTC

HTTP 304 status code

I am investigating a problem a small subset of our users are experiencing on
our site.  Occassionally, when a user accesses a page, the browser displays:

Error: 304
Location: /applicants/static/shared/styles.css

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date:...Connection:... and the rest of the HTTP headers

...then the content of the page.

We are using IIS and Tomcat 3.3.

The users that have experienced this were using IE 6.

If anyone has experienced anything similar, I would appreciate you help.

Thanks in advance,
Tim O'Dowd

Re: HTTP 304 status code

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
This is a known bug in TC3.3.  It is fixed in TC3.3.1.  The RFC referenced
by other people forbids sending a body with a 304 response, but TC3.3 wasn't
respecting that.  This is probably confusing MSIE, who thinks that the body
is part of the next request.