Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by john soric <Wi...@outlook.com> on 2021/03/09 00:32:22 UTC

Opening a .odf file with Microsoft

Friends,
I have been happily using Apache for a few years.
Today I had to upgrade to windows 10 and now nothing will open. I downloaded Open Office hoping it would be accepted by my new computer.
PROB LEM:  IO have a very important .odt document that I really have to open.  It’s several pages of passwords and other important info.
Maybe you could open it to me and send it back as a pdf?

Thanks for any help

John Soric
Woinston2021@Outlook.com

Re: Opening a .odf file with Microsoft

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com.INVALID>.
On 09/03/2021 01:32, john soric wrote:
> Friends,
> I have been happily using Apache for a few years.
> Today I had to upgrade to windows 10 and now nothing will open. I downloaded Open Office hoping it would be accepted by my new computer.
> PROB LEM:  IO have a very important .odt document that I really have to open.  It’s several pages of passwords and other important info.
> Maybe you could open it to me and send it back as a pdf?

John, you should use the Open With option in Explorer, windows (read
Microsoft) has set the
File Associations to their defaults, which you should be able to change
back.

Second we should not open your file as it contains your passwords and
you should not share
these with anyone.

Posted by Steven Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
John,

Unfortunately Windoz likes to change file associations when it updates. To fix this Open the Windows File Explorer, the File Folder icon in the Dashboard. Then open the folder that you have your file in; ie if it’s on your desktop it will be in the folder “Desktop”. Select your file then click the the Triangle (down arrow) next to Open and choose Open With. Choose OpenOffice Writer from the list, check the box for Open All Files With This Extension With This App and then click the button Open.

As a courtesy to you I have sent a copy of this message to you since you may not be subscribed to the Users email group. If you’re subscribed you may miss some responses.

As a courtesy to me please only reply to: users@openoffice.apache.org not my email address, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone