Posted to community@apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/01/27 11:26:56 UTC

Re: Weblogs and Obstructionism

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 01:25:47AM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> A project site, such as James or Jakarta, could integrate their SubWiki with
> the rest of their SVN-backed web content.  I am expecting that Greg and the
> rest of the Subversion folks will be ensuring that unchanged DAV content,
> such as a News page, is capable of being served by httpd at quite close to
> static content speed.

We've gotta yank that data out of a Berkeley DB. Of course, maybe it is
sitting in a shared memory segment, or the OS cache, or whatever, but it
will take a bit of time.

That said: we *do* support etags which can optimize GET performance. And
depending on how you ask for the content, it can be *very* cacheable. In
particular, it is possible that checkouts can cache at a local [caching]
proxy, enabling the guy sitting next to you to fetch his checkout at LAN
speed.

And last, but not least, you could put a caching reverse proxy in front of
Subversion. That would seriously offload the server. And if some Smart Guys
wrote a post-commit script to issue an ICP request to that proxy, then you
could keep the proxy up to date on all the content.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/