Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com> on 2009/10/29 16:33:16 UTC

Do not use openprotect!

Khaled Hussein wrote:
> i am recently added saupdates.openprotect.com channel to my server
> but after that i am receiving complains from one customer that he
> received emails like 123456@domain.com as ifax , the digits are the
> fax number, but after the message enter the mail queue it
> disappeared
> i think that spamassassin delete the message and think it is high
> spam score
>
> how can i debug and troubleshoot this case

First, remove the openprotect channel.  It is DANGEROUSLY out of date,
including things like the top 200 SpamCop offenders from January 2008
and a slew of rules from 2005 and 2006 that have either already been
incorporated into SpamAssassin (and thus would double-hit) or are old
enough to create significantly more false-positives than anything else.

If you want to use the SARE rules (except 2tld, all SARE channels are
no longer maintained), you have to be careful and choose only a few of
them.  The openprotect channel simply gives them ALL to you.

There are other channels of note, namely 2tld, sought, and my own.
I've got a list of channels I recommend on my site (see my sig).

--
Adam Katz
khopesh on irc://irc.freenode.net/#spamassassin

Re: Do not use openprotect!

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.
On 10/29/2009 11:33 AM, Adam Katz wrote:

> There are other channels of note, namely 2tld, sought, and my own.
> I've got a list of channels I recommend on my site (see my sig).

How is your registration to be able to commit your rules to masscheck
going?  I personally wouldn't be comfortable using your rules until I
see masscheck results across all corpa.

Warren