Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/05 08:23:50 UTC

Missing check on .jar files committed to the source repo

Hello,
This patch [1] contains a .jar file that must not be committed to the
source repository.
We generally cannot commit binary files to the source repo, as it won't be
"open source" anymore.

When we are permitted to commit binary/compiled code, there must be a very
good reason and it must be approved explicitly and noted somewhere (NOTICE
file?)

My point here is that we are missing some automated check to prevent such
accidental commits.
I believe that we have to add a check to be run at every PR validation and
during the release process that our source distribution does not contain
compiled code.

Thoughts ?

Enrico

[1] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/12535

Re: Missing check on .jar files committed to the source repo

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Dec 3, 2021, at 11:45 AM, Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Automated checks are useful because we are human and we usually miss to
>> validate this kind of boring stuff.
>
> +1 I think it sounds appropriate to add an automated check. If a use
> case arises where we need to add compiled files, we'll also need a way
> to bypass/override this check.

For example, have a look at why grade wrapper jars cannot be included - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-570

Regards,
Dave