Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Andi Huber <ah...@apache.org> on 2018/08/01 05:55:10 UTC

Shall we finally remove layout annotations?

I'd like to reiterate the discussion [1] regarding the proposed removal of

org.apache.isis.applib.annotation.MemberGroupLayout -> use Xxx.layout.xml instead

On my early days with 'Apache Isis' I felt encouraged to use '@MemberGroupLayout' annotation to layout Domain Objects and as far as I remember this was a frustrating encounter. I was so relieved to discover that you can do the whole layout stuff in a much cleaner way with 'Xxx.layout.xml'.

So I do have a strong tendency to remove this annotation with Apache Isis v2, simply to save users from the pain it may cause.

This is not a vote, but please feel free to share your opinions!

Cheers, Andi

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/ApplibCandidatesForRemovalInApacheIsis2 (Comments)

Re: Shall we finally remove layout annotations?

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Yes, I would like to remove the @MemberGroupLayuot annotation also.

What's important is that the framework can render the domain object in a
recognizable fashion without any layout, but it's not necessary for every
feature supported by the layout.xml files to also be available in
annotations. Indeed, this is already the case, tabs can't be expressed in
annotations.

So +1 from me.

That said, I think we should retain @MemberOrder, because that one is easy
to understand.

--
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is from Haywood Associates Ltd (Registered Number
3525455) and it and its attachments may be confidential and are intended