Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2013/04/08 18:15:10 UTC

ClearNLP POSTagger

Hi,
While working on the Dependency Parser/SRL labeler,  we also have a POSTagger from ClearNLP.  It is fairly simple and I have the code ready (also trained on the same data as the dep parser- MiPaq/SHARP) to be checked-in.  What does the folks think:
We can include both Analysis Engines in the ctakes-pos-tagger project.  But should we leave the current OpenNLP in the default pipeline or default to the latest?

"The ClearNLP POS tagger shows more robust results on unknown words by generalizing lexical features.  You can find the reference from this paper.
Fast and Robust Part-of-Speech Tagging Using Dynamic Model Selection, Jinho D. Choi, Martha Palmer, Proceedings of the 50th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL'12), 363-367, Jeju, Korea, 2012. [1] It also uses AdaGrad for machine learning, which is a more advanced learning algorithm than maximum entropy used by OpenNLP."

[1] http://aclweb.org/anthology-new/P/P12/P12-2071.pdf

Re: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 04/09/2013 10:42 PM, Chen, Pei wrote:
> Let me know if you get a chance to try it out/run some benchmarks see how it performs against the current.

The OpenNLP POS Tagger has built in evaluation, if you have test data
you could run the evaluator on it or the cross evaluator if you only
have training data.

Jörn

RE: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Thanks James.
Good idea,
It's been moved to a clearnlp folder now (to indicate that it's a clearnlp model).
org/apache/ctakes/postagger/models/clearnlp/mayo-en-pos-1.3.0.jar

Let me know if you get a chance to try it out/run some benchmarks see how it performs against the current.

--Pei

RE: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
That's great. Thanks.

RE: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
FYI:

Re: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Am 09.04.2013 um 03:29 schrieb "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>:

> Hi Richard,
> It is so useful that someone is maintaining these as Maven artifacts.  Do you have the artifact names/ids to the corresponding models?  I'm thinking to reuse those from Maven central if they already exists.

I know of some models that are hosted on Maven Central:

- Provided by Stanford for the Stanford tools

	groupId: 	edu.stanford.nlp
	artifactIds:	stanford-parser (classifier: models)
			stanford-corenlp (classifier: models)

- Provided by Washington (for ClearNLP, Stanford tools)

	groupId:	edu.washington.cs.knowitall.*
	artifactIds:	*-models

So far, I don't find these very useful due to packaging mistakes
and incompleteness. That is why we still host our own public model
repository at:

  https://zoidberg.ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/artifactory/public-model-releases-local

We hesitate pushing the models from there to Maven Central, because
the licensing of the models is quite unclear, even for those that
ship with tools that have a clear license, such as the Stanford tools.

We consider pushing proxy-artifacts to Maven central which can be
used as dependencies and which declare a reference to our public
repository and to the model artifact hosted there. The packaging
of the models is currently being revised and the new versions
will soon be pushed first to our public repository for testing, and
later to Maven Central. Some test staging of the new packaging
can at times be found here

  https://zoidberg.ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/artifactory/public-ukp-staging-local

Cheers,

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead

RE: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Richard,
It is so useful that someone is maintaining these as Maven artifacts.  Do you have the artifact names/ids to the corresponding models?  I'm thinking to reuse those from Maven central if they already exists.

--Pei

> Yes- the ClearNLP tools (POSTagger, Dependency Parser, SRL) in cTAKES were retrained with additional data (MiPAQ/SHARP).
> The Dependency Parser/SRL replaced the existing one because the old ClearParser ones were no longer supported.

I'm only interested in the models - basically any models actually. We have the ClearNLP stuff also integrated in DKPro Core and we collect models for everything and redistribute them via our public Maven server (unless explicitly forbidden). If you have models for any tools that we may (or may not yet) have in DKPro Core, I'd be happy to package them up as Maven artifacts. We already have a good collection of stuff hosted there. Here is a slightly outdated overview that may give an impression: http://bit.ly/UBjusE

Cheers,

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead

RE: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Richard,
Check out the 1.3.0 pre-trained models below- courtesy of Jinho and Co.:
https://code.google.com/p/clearnlp/wiki/TrainedModels

--Pei

Re: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hi Pei,

RE: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Richard,

Re: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hi,

Re: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Would it be possible to run some benchmarks so we know the performance
difference between the two?

The OpenNLP POS Tagger can be customized, currently is possible to
replace the feature generation,
it can probably be optimized for the medical domain, the default feature
generation is tuned for the news domain.
Replacing the learning algorithm is currently not possible, but we will
work on that for the next release.

Do you use a tag dictionary? Maybe it is possible to generate something
from the existing dictionaries already
used by cTAKES.

Jörn

RE: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Okay,
I'll commit the ClearPOSTagger and make it available in the ctakes-pos-tagger component, but leave everything as they currently are (currently default to OpenNLP).
We can always switch one or the other in the future (when there is a fair comparison/benchmark).

Re: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by Lee Becker <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: ClearNLP POSTagger

Posted by Steven Bethard <st...@Colorado.EDU>.
On Apr 8, 2013, at 10:15 AM, "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
> While working on the Dependency Parser/SRL labeler,  we also have a POSTagger from ClearNLP.  It is fairly simple and I have the code ready (also trained on the same data as the dep parser- MiPaq/SHARP) to be checked-in.  What does the folks think:
> We can include both Analysis Engines in the ctakes-pos-tagger project.  But should we leave the current OpenNLP in the default pipeline or default to the latest?

My vote would be to default for whatever has the best performance. Presumably the ClearNLP one?

> "The ClearNLP POS tagger shows more robust results on unknown words by generalizing lexical features.

Looking at the paper, ClearNLP POS tagger is not compared directly to the cTAKES OpenNLP POS tagger, but they do outperform the Stanford tagger trained on the same data, so it's probably a reasonable guess that they're more accurate than the OpenNLP tagger.

> It also uses AdaGrad for machine learning, which is a more advanced learning algorithm than maximum entropy used by OpenNLP."

My opinion is that we should never include a model in cTAKES just because it has a "more advanced learning algorithm". "More advanced learning algorithm" does not always translate into better performance.

Steve