Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Greywolf <gr...@starwolf.com> on 2008/02/11 20:45:22 UTC

Request: svnserve auth vs. system

Greetings,

[you probably already saw me on irc but...]

I wish to submit a request to have svnserve authenticate its users via
the system rather than authenticating vs. a cleartext passwd auth file.
I'm surprised this ability doesn't really exist.

svn+ssh: has been suggested to me, but "svn+ssh:" is a semihassle to
request on the command line, and setting up keys and such, while a small
hurdle, is an extra step I didn't really want to deal with.

I'll look into it and see what grief it brings me, but I'm requesting
this nonetheless.  If anyone else feels that this would be truly useful,
please say so.  I probably won't bring it up again for a while.

Many thanks, and thanks for a great version control project, the above
notwithstanding.  SVN did me the favour of making me really look at how
revision control and change management is done, as well as it allows me
the freedom of doing it in differently appropriate ways for different
types of projects.

[FWIW:  Dev/, Release/, and Main/ turn out to be REALLY good names
  for things!  Well, for me, anyway...]

 				--*greywolf;

Re: Request: svnserve auth vs. system

Posted by Jeff D <fi...@gmail.com>.
Greywolf wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> [you probably already saw me on irc but...]
>
> I wish to submit a request to have svnserve authenticate its users via
> the system rather than authenticating vs. a cleartext passwd auth file.
> I'm surprised this ability doesn't really exist.
>
> svn+ssh: has been suggested to me, but "svn+ssh:" is a semihassle to
> request on the command line, and setting up keys and such, while a small
> hurdle, is an extra step I didn't really want to deal with.
>
> I'll look into it and see what grief it brings me, but I'm requesting
> this nonetheless.  If anyone else feels that this would be truly useful,
> please say so.  I probably won't bring it up again for a while.
>
> Many thanks, and thanks for a great version control project, the above
> notwithstanding.  SVN did me the favour of making me really look at how
> revision control and change management is done, as well as it allows me
> the freedom of doing it in differently appropriate ways for different
> types of projects.
>
> [FWIW:  Dev/, Release/, and Main/ turn out to be REALLY good names
>  for things!  Well, for me, anyway...]
>
>                 --*greywolf;
> --

One thing you may want to check out is authenticating through
apache/ldap or mod_auth_pam. I haven't done the mod_auth_pam but I have
used ldap and it works out fine.

hth,
Jeff

Re: Request: svnserve auth vs. system

Posted by si <ss...@gmail.com>.
> I wish to submit a request to have svnserve authenticate its users via
> the system rather than authenticating vs. a cleartext passwd auth file.
> I'm surprised this ability doesn't really exist.

I'm also interested in this, with the caveat of using integrated
windows authentication.

Quoting from http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/sasl.txt

"Subversion 1.5 introduces support for the Cyrus SASL (Simple Authentication
  and Security Layer) library for the svn:// protocol and svnserve server."

and

"... and, in addition, provides a host of other mechanisms such as
DIGEST-MD5, OTP (One-Time Passwords), GSSAPI (used for Kerberos
authentication), NTLM (NT LAN Manager), SRP (Secure Remote Password),
and others."

So I'm hoping that the GSSAPI mechanism will enable integrated windows
authentication, presumably leaving the authorization as it currently
standards.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this hope, so I would humbly request that a
document along similar lines as to the following is created for
windows users:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/windows-service.txt

I will happy convert any such file to docbook and submit a patch to
the nice TortoiseSVN folks for inclusion in their documentation.

cheers
si
--
It's a wild world that we live in, you step to the vibe like a new
found religion, take your position, compile your vision, futurism,

Re: Request: svnserve auth vs. system

Posted by "Brian A. Seklecki" <la...@spiritual-machines.org>.
On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 15:15 -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> Good GOD, when'd you get here?!?

SVN Is the new black.  All the runway models in London are doing it.

Don't you want to do runways?

~BAS

Re: Request: svnserve auth vs. system

Posted by Greywolf <gr...@starwolf.com>.
[Thus spake Brian A. Seklecki ("BAS: ") 4:16pm...]

BAS: On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 12:45 -0800, Greywolf wrote:
BAS: > svnserve
BAS:
BAS: Heya greywolf, it's lava!

<waves hands a la Wallace from Wallace and Gromit>

Good GOD, when'd you get here?!?

BAS: So, svnserve doesn't already support PAM?  That's really where this
BAS: should be headed *wink*.  Just about everyone has PAM, except those poor
BAS: bastards in OpenBSD :-)

Yeah, I disable PAM as soon as I get the system installed.  Hate it with
a passion purple enough to make purple look green.  I'd rather see
it call standard auth which, if I recall correctly, calls out to PAM
only if it's present.

I don't want it present.

But that's a different array of pointers to functions returning pointers
to arrays of cans of worms...

BAS: Me -> Back to bsd-appliance

:)

BAS: Also I found:
BAS:
BAS: > Looking through the archives of the cvs list, there is an unofficial
BAS: > patch in the CVS issue tracker to hack PAM support into CVS. It
BAS: > doesn't seem to be in the mainline, even after 4 years or so of
BAS: > waiting in the  issue tracker.

Heh.  CVS is so last century. :)

Posted by "Brian A. Seklecki" <la...@spiritual-machines.org>.
On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 12:45 -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> svnserve

Heya greywolf, it's lava!

So, svnserve doesn't already support PAM?  That's really where this
should be headed *wink*.  Just about everyone has PAM, except those poor
bastards in OpenBSD :-)

Me -> Back to bsd-appliance

Also I found: