Posted to user@ant.apache.org by li...@bitfaeule.net on 2004/11/11 15:30:03 UTC

getUserProperty and getProperty

Hi folks,

What is the exact difference between the API-calls  getUserProperty and
getProperty.
And:
What is the exact difference between the API-calls  setUserProperty and
setProperty.
When ist advised to use which?

I'm a bit confused. I am writing my own tasks and I have started to use
getUserProperty because it did what I wanted but I didn't know that
[s|g]etProperty existed.

Thanks for enlightenment.

-jacques

Re: getUserProperty and getProperty

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@apache.org>.
User properties are those specified on the command line. They are always
inherited when across <ant/> boundaries.

You should use project.setNewProperty() to set a normal property. - this
maintains property imutablity.
project.getProperty() is used to retrieve the value of a property (this may
be a normal property or a user property).

An example of setting properties is in
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/CheckSum.java

Peter