Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> on 2000/12/08 01:43:34 UTC

[OT] Slow Mailing List

Now that traffic has increased on this list, I don't know if this is an
illusion but it seems to take a really long time between the time I post a
message and the mod_perl mailing list gets it back to me.

Re: [OT] Slow Mailing List

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> Anyway, if the list is slow here and if Apache.org is not willing to do
> anything to fix it (but it looks like they are in a few weeks!) then I

Be sure, they are already working on that, but it isn't done in few
minutes...

Gerald

E-Mail:     richter@ecos.de         Voice:    +49 6133 925151

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
At 10:20 PM 12/7/2000 -0800, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Jim Winstead wrote:
>
>[...]
> > in the meantime, be patient. :)
>
>uhmn, it has been better the last days. Actually right now the turn
>around time is back to a few minutes it seems like.
>
>if it's slow it's just to give a hint to not make it worse by
>sending useless off-topic mail. Someone else probably already made
>the same useless comment with no relation what so ever to mod_perl.

It is off topic but it's certainly relevant to advocacy and the usability
of the list.

1) When a mailing list is slow (my posts took upwards of 45-60 minutes to
post during the USA Daytime) then the traffic will increase by itself.

Why? Because someone will post a question, and it will look as if no one
else has responded to that person's question, so you'll get a phenomena
where people will tend to respond to the same question.

I know I am that way -- I usually wait a bit of time before I post a
response to see if someone else has responded, but if they don't then I'll
post.

2) When a mailing list is slow, it increases the likelihood that people get
CCed + the mod_perl list.

If the mod_perl list were fast, I would be removing your individual email
addresses off my replies more often. As it is, I tend to keep them on as my
response is probably interesting to the people who posted the topic. It's
not something I think cognitively about with each message -- it's just a
habit I get on mailing lists that are slow -- to CC or not to CC in my
Reply-All.

3) When a mailing list is slow, it makes the threads all screwy to read
because of the phenomena on #1.

Anyway, if the list is slow here and if Apache.org is not willing to do
anything to fix it (but it looks like they are in a few weeks!) then I
would have suggested maybe one of the ISP people on this list might be
willing to donate a less trafficed server for mod_perl mailing list.

Re: [OT] Slow Mailing List

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Jim Winstead wrote:

[...]
> in the meantime, be patient. :)

uhmn, it has been better the last days. Actually right now the turn
around time is back to a few minutes it seems like.

if it's slow it's just to give a hint to not make it worse by
sending useless off-topic mail. Someone else probably already made
the same useless comment with no relation what so ever to mod_perl.

  - ask (old'n'grumpy)

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://ask.netcetera.dk/>

Posted by Jim Winstead <ji...@trainedmonkey.com>.
On Dec 08, Gunther Birznieks wrote:
> Now that traffic has increased on this list, I don't know if this is an
> illusion but it seems to take a really long time between the time I post a
> message and the mod_perl mailing list gets it back to me.

the machine that handles mail for all of the apache.org mailing
lists is currently a bit overloaded during peak hours. there's work
afoot to replace it with a beefier, more finely tuned, and
dedicated-for-mail-handling machine within the next couple of weeks
(being conservative -- it could happen sooner).

in the meantime, be patient. :)

jim