Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/05 09:25:37 UTC

Creating a Library to be donated to Apache

Hi all,
I've been inspired to create a utility library for regular expressions and
making them easier to read/write.

I believe that when I get it all up and running I would like to donate it
to Flex.

My question is about licensing.  I will be making the project on Github,
and was wondering if I should use an MIT license or an Apache v2 license,
or if there is another way to go about doing it?

Just in case I made someone curious, the idea is to create a library to
answer my own question here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21528969/is-there-a-library-for-regular-expressions-similar-to-what-hamcrest-did-for-unit?noredirect=1#comment32509472_21528969

brought to you by the letters A, V, and I
and the number 47

Re: Creating a Library to be donated to Apache

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/5/14 2:01 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Should I put the ICLA in the repo and have people sign it before they
>> contribute? Or is that premature?
>
>Totally up to you. I'd just make it clear up front that you want to
>donate to Apache - less complications that way.
It would be best if by submitting code to GH, folks are accepting those
terms, but that may be hard to do.  The goal is to avoid anyone saying
later that they didn't give up ownership of the lines of code they
donated, or didn't give permission for it to be donated.

FWIW, licensing as Apache now means the licensing terms don't have to be
changed in the donation process.

-Alex

Re: Creating a Library to be donated to Apache

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Should I put the ICLA in the repo and have people sign it before they
> contribute? Or is that premature?

Totally up to you. I'd just make it clear up front that you want to donate to Apache - less complications that way.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Creating a Library to be donated to Apache

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,