Posted to dev@dolphinscheduler.apache.org by William-GuoWei <wi...@qq.com> on 2019/12/04 07:19:45 UTC

Re: [Monthly Report Discuss] Dolphin Scheduler Monthly ReportonDecember 2019

I understand.

We try to define Dolphin Scheduler contributors besides Dolphin Scheduler committers by voting. It is not right way.

Here is my understanding of the community. Let everyone check if it is right:

“PPMC”: Expierenced Committer who is familiar with Apache CI/CD, Release process, Apache Way, etc. They are voted by PPMC.
“Committer”: Expierenced Contributor, who is continously contributing to the project. They are voted by PPMC.
“Contributor”: People who contribute to the project. They are not voted.

Dolphin Scheduler (Incubator) PPMC Member
William Guo Wei

原始邮件
William-GuoWei william-guowei@qq.com 于2019年12月4日周三 下午3:01写道:  Wusheng,  What do you mean external contributors? How to define this?  I collect the data from github, these guys didn’t go through Apache voting  process. So they are not Apache Dolphin Scheduler’s contributor. "External  contributors” is confused and I would like to use "There are 42 people to  contribute codes to the main github repo.”  Still, don't make sense. Why they are not DophinScheduler contributors? Do you mean Committer? No-committer is not an external contributor.    I am not sure whether this is a good metrics. Take a reference from other  projects’ report. Make this more reasonable.  OK. I would like to use "131 users subscribed dev and dev-notification.”  because we try to let more people discuss with mail.    Thank you for your advice!    Dolphin Scheduler (Incubator) PPMC Member  William Guo Wei    原始邮件  发件人:Sheng Wuwu.sheng.841108@gmail.com  收件人:devdev@dolphinscheduler.apache.org  发送时间:2019年12月3日(周二) 23:28  主题:Re: [Monthly Report Discuss] Dolphin Scheduler Monthly Report  onDecember 2019    William-GuoWei william-guowei@qq.com于2019年12月3日 周二下午10:35写道: Dear all  Developer of Dolphin Scheduler, This is the report of Dolphin Scheduler  for December 2019. Please review and give us some comments by tomorrow,  after that I will update to the Apache monthly report. Dolphin  Scheduler Dolphin Scheduler is a distributed and easy-to-expand visual DAG  workflow scheduling system dedicated to solving the complex dependencies  in data processing, making the scheduling system out of the box for data  processing. Dolphin Scheduler has been incubating since 2019-8-29. Three  most important unfinished issues to address before graduating: Make first  Apache releases. (In voting progress) Appeal more users and contributors.  Make more interactive e-mail discussion besides github, wechat Are there  any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of? None How has  the community developed since the last report? Now there are 42 external  contributors. What do you mean external contributors? How to define this?   I am not sure whether this is a good metrics. Take a reference from other  projects’ report. Make this more reasonable.    2 committers were voted to join Dolphin Scheduler committers group. Over  62 company users is willing to announce that he is using Dolphin  Scheduler: https://github.com/apache/incubator-dolphinscheduler/issues/57  I am not sure whether this is a good metrics. Take a reference from other  projects’ report. Make this more reasonable. How has the project developed  since the last report? PPMC is voting for an Apache release 1.2.0 on  Nov,27,which includes 9 features and 18 enhancements and bug fix. Build a  CI/CD base on Github actions. Default DB is changed from MySQL to  PostgreSQL. 241 issues created,237 PRs merged . How would you assess the  podling's maturity? Please feel free to add your own commentary. Initial  setup Date of last release: - When were the last committers or PPMC  members elected? 2019-11-11 Have your mentors been helpful and  responsive? Yes, our mentors help a lot on our firtst Apache Release,  including first time on CI/CD, license check, Apache checklist, and so  on. Dolphin Scheduler (Incubator) PPMC Member William Guo Wei -- Sheng  Wu 吴晟 Apache SkyWalking Apache Incubator Apache ShardingSphere, ECharts,  DolphinScheduler podlings Zipkin Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [Monthly Report Discuss] Dolphin Scheduler Monthly ReportonDecember 2019

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
HI,

> “PPMC”: Expierenced Committer who is familiar with Apache CI/CD, Release process, Apache Way, etc. They are voted by PPMC.

They may or may not be familiar with all of that. People can become PPMC member via contributions other than testing, code or releases.

> “Committer”: Expierenced Contributor, who is continously contributing to the project. They are voted by PPMC.

They do not need to be continuously contributing to the project, that would exclude part time people becoming committers on your project.

> “Contributor”: People who contribute to the project. They are not voted.

Correct.

I suggest the project has a discussion on this list about where etc he committer and PPMC bar should be and what form of contribution you recognise.(hint:all) This should be documented on your website so new contributors know what to expect.

Thanks,
Justin