Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/24 04:41:26 UTC

General usefulness of "write only mode"

I wanted to see if this was generally useful before I just made a ticket.

The scenario is a read heavy workload.  Running a major compaction or
cleanup significantly reduces throughput to the point that the
compaction drags on for a long time, performance dramatically degrades,
etc.  I can disablegossip which effectively disables all reads and
writes while I run those tasks offline.  But if my goal was to run
cleanup across the cluster (say after another node was out for an
extended period of time), this is a somewhat ironic proposition.

What I wish I could do is disable reads but not write to the nodes.
This would allow major compaction/repairs to proceed in a reasonable
manner without hints building up on other nodes.  Does this seem useful
enough for inclusion, or is there a better way to solve the same problem?

Re: General usefulness of "write only mode"

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
It's not crazy, but the implementation would be a little involved (see
Brandon's comments to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1108).

--
Jonathan Ellis