Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Danilo Tomasoni <to...@cosbi.eu> on 2019/06/10 13:19:06 UTC

RE: [SPAM] Re: query parsed in different ways in two identical solr instances

Hello I was able to reproduce this behaviour in an isolated environment,
and performed some differential analysis between the two versions (that has different schemas, diff of schemas attached)

With the schema of solr1, the query is parsed as +(+(....) +(....))
while with the schema of solr-test, the same query is parsed as +((....) (....))

The query is

"q":"(f1:PUBMEDPMID12159614 AND (_query_:\"{!edismax qf='medline_chemical_terms medline_mesh_terms' q.op=OR mm=1 v=$subquery1}\"))"

in solr1 and also in solr test f1 equals
"f.f1.qf":"id pmid pmc source_id other_id doi manuscript_id publication_id secondary_ids"}}

And then I suddenly remembered that the field secondary_ids was renamed to external_data in solr-test (before the bulk import).

So I changed f1 definition removing secondary_ids and adding external_data..
and now the behaviour is the same!

How is that possible? why the schema (and in this case a non-existing field) can influence in such a profound way the behaviour of the query parser?

I think that this is a subtle bug and an error should be raised instead of performing an unexpected query.

Danilo Tomasoni

Fondazione The Microsoft Research - University of Trento Centre for Computational and Systems Biology (COSBI)
Piazza Manifattura 1,  38068 Rovereto (TN), Italy
tomasoni@cosbi.eu
http://www.cosbi.eu

As for the European General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data, we inform you that all the data we possess are object of treatment in the respect of the normative provided for by the cited GDPR.
It is your right to be informed on which of your data are used and how; you may ask for their correction, cancellation or you may oppose to their use by written request sent by recorded delivery to The Microsoft Research – University of Trento Centre for Computational and Systems Biology Scarl, Piazza Manifattura 1, 38068 Rovereto (TN), Italy.
P Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

Posted by Danilo Tomasoni <to...@cosbi.eu>.
Yes I identical because the configuration (solrconfig.xml etc) is identical, just some fields changed.
Sorry I was not so precise in the description of the environment.

Nice to know it's already fixed.

[...]

We now moved from "identical setup breaks things in a bugfix version"
to "strange behavior when field does not exist". The "identical" part
was actually throwing us off the trail.

And all this leads us to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5163 , fixed in 8.0.

Hope it helps,