Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de> on 2005/09/08 14:50:11 UTC

"Can't recode string" trouble while commiting into folders containing umlauts

Hi,

we have our SuSE 9.3 server running svn 1.1.3.

Our tortoise clients (1.2.2 build 4295, svn 1.2.3) on Windows are able to
access the repo via svn+ssh on that server.

The trouble started when we created folders containing umlauts. In some of
these folders it was possible to create files, in other the error message
"Can't recode string" appeared. This is certainly due to the utf8 encoding
on the server.

The same message appears if you try to get a log of one of these folders,
or inside of them. Getting log info from further above works with problems
though.

This is somewhat strange. How come that files and folders will be properly
translated and others won't?! Any idea?

Perhaps it's a version issue between the server and the client? Is the gap
between them too large?

Marko

Re: "Can't recode string" trouble while commiting into folders containing umlauts

Posted by Bernhard Schalk <sc...@mch.osram.de>.
Hi,

finally, we found a solution:

The problem seems to be with the 1.1.3 version used by SuSE.
We removed it and built subversion from the tarball.

If we use the 1.1.3 or the 1.1.4 tarball, the error remains.
If we use the 1.2.0 or the 1.2.3 tarball, everything works fine.

We found nothing regarding this error in the changelog. Did we miss
something?

Anyway, the problem is solved - at least if we use a 1.2.x version.

For further discussion see also the suse-linux-e list
(http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2005-Sep/0916.html).

Bye,
Bernhard and Marko

Re: "Can't recode string" trouble while commiting into folders containing umlauts

Posted by Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de>.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Marko Kaening wrote:
> Perhaps it's a version issue between the server and the client? Is the gap
> between them too large?

We tested this with an older tsvn client: it shows the same error!

+++   +++   +++   +++   +++

Further tests revealed that it was possible to commit a file into a
umlaut-containing folder ONLY if it got added and committed together with
it at the same time. But this commit must happen from a folder
2 levels up which has to be umlaut-free.

Since I don't want to mess up with encodings I use words instead of real
umlauts to illustrate what I was saying:

directory structure               (comment)

+umlaut-free-folder               (add + commit works from here!)
 +umlaut-containing-folder        (from here it doesn't)
  +file-to-commit                 (doesn't)

If the umlaut-containing folder got successfully added and committed
(which is possible), it's still impossible to get the file-to-commit
committed.

Weird, isn't it?!

Marko