Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2007/09/24 20:18:58 UTC

Fixing XW-559: No warnings when property or method doesn't exist in Action

Background at: http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/XW-559

Basically, Struts 2 sucks. ;-)

When prototyping a project with Struts 2, I found it annoying that
when I fat-fingered a property or method in my JSP, I was never given
an error by Struts. For people that are brand-new to Struts, I'd
imagine this would be even more frustrating. I believe we need to
fail-fast in most circumstances, particularly when "struts.devMode" is
on.

Sidenote: Currently "devMode" doesn't do me much good because it gives
me warnings for missing setters, which I generally don't care about.
It's the getters I care about.

So what's the best way to go about fixing this? I don't really care
about *all* the variables in the ValueStack, just the ones on my
immediate Action, and maybe it's parent.

XW-559 did have a patch against CompoundRootAccessor. However, after
running "svn up" this morning, that class no longer exists.

Also, I tried to use XWork 2.1-SNAPSHOT with Struts 2.0.9, but I get
the following error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.GenericsObjectTypeDeterminer

Should I be using the latest version of Struts with the latest version
of XWork to attempt to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Fixing XW-559: No warnings when property or method doesn't exist in Action

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
Is it worth trying to fix this issue (non-existent properties not
reported) if the underlying EL mechanism is going to change?

I guess the best thing to do is see if I can reproduce the problem
using xwork/struts-trunk.

Matt

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.